SpongeVanilla refusing to boot up due jline/console/ConsoleReader

Good afternoon!
I have an issue when it comes to booting up Sponge:
I have successfully build Sponge (latest from the GIThub) and it started up the first time semi-fine. It initiated the download of server-1.8, then rebooted to accomadate the 1.8 server and then…

INFO Exception in thread “main” java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError: jline/console/ConsoleReader

I have NOGUI tag set, yet it seems Sponge is INTEND to run with a GUI. How do I disable this so the server will boot up?

Actually, Sponge Coremod disables the native Minecraft GUI. I have no idea why it gets messed up looking for the jline Console Reader, maybe a dev can figure that out. How are you launching the server?

Also, you don’t need to build Sponge Coremod for yourself, except for development purposes. There is a Downloads page now :smile:
(SpongeVanilla is still unstable, so you’d have to build that, but that’s a different kettle of fish).

1 Like

Inscrutable:
I think he build SpongeVanilla himself…

Michel:
try to run without -nogui.
Sponge shouldn’t include this anyways as the devs noticed a performance hit with the gui enabled.
Thus the gui is disabled by default (at least in sponge coremod).

I indeed build SpongeVanilla,
I removed the nogui tag and it still runs into the following issue:

28.06 06:49:23 [Server] INFO at org.spongepowered.vanilla.launch.console.VanillaConsole.start(VanillaConsole.java:81)
28.06 06:49:23 [Server] INFO Exception in thread "main" java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError: jline/console/ConsoleReader

Uhm, then it might be time to call for emergency :'D

@Minecrell

1 Like

I can’t reproduce it, just built the latest version of SpongeVanilla but I’m not getting this problem. How did you build SpongeVanilla (the command you used)? Also, which JAR are you trying to run and how exactly do you run it?

When you’ve rebuilt the jar, keep in mind that the nogui flag doesn’t have a - in front of it.

java -jar sponge_vanilla.jar nogui

$ git clone https://github.com/SpongePowered/Sponge.git .
$ git submodule update --init --recursive
$ ./gradlew setupDecompWorkspace --refresh-dependencies

Using the same commands on my PC, and running it, it works fine, however, on my dedicated server, whom has no GUI to speak off, it keeps giving this error.

nogui

Always has been without a -, as we use Multicraft for our Servermanagement.

@Minecrell: After the build I had 4 files in lib:
All starting with Spongevanilla-1.8-2.1DEV-0
Then following up comes:
.jar
-javadoc.jar
-release.jar
-sources.jar

As per instructions we use release.jar

Do note that its not a problem with BUILDING, but with Launching the game on a NON-GUI based system.

You need to use spongevanilla-1.8-2.1DEV-0.jar not the release JAR. The instructions don’t seem to say anything about using the release JAR: GitHub - SpongePowered/SpongeVanilla: The SpongeAPI implementation for Vanilla Minecraft.

java -jar spongevanilla-1.8-2.1DEV-0.jar nogui
Error: Invalid or corrupt jarfile spongevanilla-1.8-2.1DEV-0.jar

Rebuilding to see if that fixes the Jarfile

Rebuilding worked, and its working as a charm now.

5 Likes