The official I don't know Java thread

Hey, whenever I do those java books and stuff it just drives me insane. They have a ton of mini-projects and examples, and I find it really difficult to follow as it starts to get hard about writing code or placing the code where it needs to go. Anyone know any good tutorials for doing java that do not have the mini-examples/projects? An example of this is Ulixava’s 2d minecraft turorials or stuff like that. Also, I know a lot of basic java, but I would really like to know how to use sponge. Any help is appriciated.

The best way to learn is with experienced, the goal of the author is for you to poke around with the examples and make them work, and see why it works. If you just read a book for the content, it will make much less sense.

1 Like

Yeah, but that just does not ever work for me, I do not know but that method of learning with programming language just does not work for me. Usually, I like to work on a big project, and with that experience it really helps me. Go watch some of ulixavas minecraft 2d tutorials videos if you would like to see what I am talking about.

On top of all that has been said (I recommend reading through posts rather than skimming as a large portion have made great points and have given very useful tips/opinions) another key aspect of learning to program or learning to program with a particular language (whether it be a first or a follow up to another language) you will need like many other things people study- motivation.

Now, I could go on and on about some energy drinks and different coffee brands you could try… or perhaps some motivational speakers or great “focus” music that will help you concentrate… but in the end I would hope you have that in the back of your mind or come to realize that as you delve into your journey. What I really find to be most important (at least for me) is having a goal to work towards.

When you have a goal to work on achieving, it will give you a reason to not walk away when you get frustrated. It will drive you to work hard and truly understand and take in what you’re learning instead of just sitting there nodding “yup yup sure thing”. If you have a project to work on, no matter the scale, it will most definitely help to introduce new problems and of course new solutions to overcome those problems. Your self-driven project will cause you to become more of a problem solver and in turn make you sharper ;). No matter the language, because all languages have their uses depending on the needs- having a project/goal to work on/towards will help you from getting bored and in the end, help you learn.

EDIT: I guess you could say it’s hard to learn something just for the hell of it, and even harder to do that without anything to work on.

5 Likes