Trouble dealing with worldGenModifier: culprit is the world.conf file

Sponge Build: 3.0.0
Forge Build: forge-1.8-11.14.4.1577
Java Version: Java SE-1.8

[spoiler “Forge Logs”]
[19:36:33] [Server thread/INFO]: Starting minecraft server version 1.8
[19:36:40] [Server thread/INFO]: Loading properties
[19:36:40] [Server thread/INFO]: Default game type: SURVIVAL
[19:36:40] [Server thread/INFO]: Generating keypair
[19:36:40] [Server thread/INFO]: Starting Minecraft server on *:25565
[19:36:40] [Server thread/INFO]: Preparing level “world”
[19:36:41] [Server thread/ERROR]: Encountered an unexpected exception
java.lang.NullPointerException at net.minecraft.server.management.ServerConfigurationManager.func_72364_a(ServerConfigurationManager.java:473) ~[sn.class:?]
at net.minecraft.server.MinecraftServer.func_71247_a(MinecraftServer.java:449) ~[MinecraftServer.class:?]
at net.minecraft.server.dedicated.DedicatedServer.func_71197_b(DedicatedServer.java:259) ~[po.class:?]
at net.minecraft.server.MinecraftServer.run(MinecraftServer.java:438) [MinecraftServer.class:?]
at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:745) [?:1.8.0_65]
[19:36:41] [Server thread/ERROR]: This crash report has been saved to: /Users/allmac/Desktop/SpongeServer/./crash-reports/crash-2016-01-12_19.36.41-server.txt
[/spoiler]

Git Repo: GeoCraft

Problem:

In my mod so far I’m attempting to:

  1. Read in, write out default config file
  2. Register a worldGenModifier
  3. Make the default world with the added worldGenModifier
  4. Test if it worked by removing a populator (ore) from the default populator list

So far as I can tell, I am able to do 1-2 just fine. In the config>sponge>worlds>overworld>world>world.config file, I listed the worldGenModifier as something I should apply to that world (BTW, note to devs, there should be an option to do this from the plugin code). This uhh… didn’t work (1-2 worked, but ore was still generated in the default world).

So on advice from the IRC guys, I changed the config-enabled field to true in this config file. The forge logs shown in the spoiler was the result.

How do I fix this?

Edit: also I’ve no idea how to do the spoiler markup. Im sorry :S.

I don’t know about the bug, it’ll have to be looked into.

But as to your comment on applying a modifer to an existing world from a plugin: the system is explicitly setup so that you cannot do this as it is intended to be in the server admins control what world(s) your modifier is applying to, not just for a plugin to start applying itself willy nilly to the main world all the time.

@Deamon

I suppose I can understand this. For major servers this would be something potentially very bad as it could cause unexpected changes in worldGen and overtaxing of system resources. I’m just concerned that a portion of my users who are not file-savvy might find it hard to use.