We can no longer see post edits?

Hello,
It has been a long time since normal forum members no longer have permission to see post edits. Since this is an open community, I believe members of the forum should be able to view the post edits.

I don’t know when this decision was taken and I don’t see a reason why this option is removed. I believe removing this option does not give people more privacy, so I don’t think this is a valid argument.

What is your opinions on this?

When it comes to viewing edits, I personally disagree. I think privacy here is a completely valid argument.

One of the reasons a post might be edited is to hide information that was accidently posted as sensitive, including things like personal data. This could take the form of a code block or terminal window that contains the user’s name, for example, that the user in question did not intend to post. If edits were visible, the user would have to wait for a mod to completely remove the post in question, and so nosy users will look, and malicious users will make use of said details. The wait time could be on the order of hours, on a popular forum, this is bad.

It also allows mods to be more selective when it comes to editing posts that fall outside of the rules, rather than outright having to delete them to remove the comment, they can just edit the irrelavent bits out and thus allow the thread to have more context.

In the context of the conversation, users should not (usually) have to worry about previous post content, if it’s been edited, it’s been edited for a reason, and the casual user shouldn’t need to care about it. The only use case for it is to view the history of some of the Plugin posts, which change their descriptions frequently, and act as a release history, of sorts. With Ore coming, however, that should not be a problem in the future.

Most edits are typos anyway. Who wants to know that someone had a bad day at the keyboard? Simply shows we are all human, right?

11 Likes