Windows 10 Linux-style Package Manager

3 Likes

Windows 10 is what Windows 8 should have been.

EDIT: Also I’m soooo excited.

3 Likes

Win 8 is Win7’s ugly child. Win 8.1 = Win8 Update 1 and Win10 = Win 8 Update 2 :stuck_out_tongue:

I’m also very excited, hoping win10 looks nice and clean… material/flat design all the way :smiley:

2 Likes

Let it come! I hope it lives up to the expectations Microsoft has created in us :slight_smile:

I have high hopes for it. It seems like they are finally using some common sense and making an operating system people want.

2 Likes

Except for, of course, the numerous performance increases. Hate on Metro all you want, but Windows 8.1 is a legitimate improvement for the Windows platform.
Hopefully, Windows 10 will do the same thing.

As far as One-Get goes… I dunno. I think that Linux does console-based package managers better than anyone else. I guess we’ll see, but I’m used to doing manual/wizard installations on Windows.

EDIT: Also, I don’t see it providing a more useful library than Ninite, which pretty much carries my ‘default’ applications.

1 Like

This in addition to the news that W10 is finally getting workspaces, AND is coming as a free upgrade to valid license holders, makes me a very happy camper. Now if we could get some proper shell support, Windows might be a usable OS.

3 Likes

C:\> Install-Package -Name VLC
Don’t be scared to use lowercase commands, Windows. </3 Ain’t no one got time for Shift when using console.

I might add that im on 8.1 x64 with Classicshell. This solved the metro “problem” for me…
I like the flat design, looks nice :wink:

OneGet:
Hmm… M$ is known to abandon such projects very fast or is lacking maintenance/updates. We will see… At least getting packages from a local server could get a lot easier.

Sssh. Don’t jinx it. D=

1 Like

Also, I don’t particularly dislike Metro.

1 Like

Must concur. I find the tiles very handy for keeping my desktop clean. (Sorry for high resolution; just be thankful something auto downscaled to 1600x900)

Look how clean and shiny my desktop is!

… Because I have this to hold everything in a nice organized way!

5 Likes

When I get my computer, I’m going to do that. I got waayyy more icons on my desktop then I need.

1 Like

More often than not, I pretend the desktop space doesn’t exist, IF I don’t just turn it off altogether.
My wallpaper is a wallpaper, not a place for every program I ever install to leave fingerprints.

I’ll find you when I want to run you. Stay the hell off of my wallpaper until I tell your window to cover it!

3 Likes

“I don’t know what folder you’re in. I don’t know what your function is. But what I do know, is that I have a very particular set of skills; skills I have acquired over a very long career. Skills that make me a nightmare for apps like you. If you let my Desktop go now, that’ll be the end of it. I will not look for you, I will not run you. But if you don’t, I will look for you, I will find you; and I will delete you.”

6 Likes

Hmmm why does this freights me :worried:.

LINUX MASTER RACE!!!

apt-get install <application> <credit-card number>
2 Likes

I really don’t like using Windows. I haven’t for a long time. However, I wish Microsoft the best in their designing of W10. I know it can’t stand up in quality and usability to most modern Linux distros, but if MS makes the right decisions, they might help to innovate and bring new ideas to the table. Right now they need to play some serious catch up with with the other OS’s.

@thomas15v oh you kids and your Ubuntus. #ArchMasterRace :V

4 Likes

xD. I don’t like RPM honestly. But I have to say arch doesn’t break if you compile a program from source. Ubuntu/debian sometimes does that :/.

I kind of hate RPM. Arch aligns well with my philosophy. Simple, easy, gets out of the way, and does what you want without asserting its opinion. It’s not bloated. It requires a bit of experience, and if you don’t have it up front, you will most likely learn it. But I can’t put any of this near as well as the Arch wiki does. I can’t even imagine wasting time running any other distro since booting Arch. Everything else is just too much work.

But back to Windows :V

Actually we are talking about windows packet manager. And the only way to compare it is comparing it with linux his managers lol.

And I forgot that arch had pacman :V. And I have to say that I am not ready for arch yet. The manual installation still frightens me. And I like apt-get to mutch :stuck_out_tongue:.

And to get more back to windows. Doesn’t this look annoying. To have all these ps-commands just to handle packages? Like on linux its simple you type yum/apt-get/pacman install/remove <package>. But here they are going to split it. Windows users tell me?