🌴 [BETA] IslandCraft - Generates and ocean filled with biome themed islands

Overview

IslandCraft changes the biome distribution of the world to create an endless ocean filled with randomly generated islands. It is a direct port of the Bukkit plugin available here.

Screenshots

Task List

• Documentation
    • Installation instructions for single player
    • Installation instructions for various world management plugins
    • Configuration specific to Sponge (mostly very similar to Bukkit configuration)
  • Features
    • Generate rivers
    • More natural distribution of islands
    • Support custom biomes from other mods (Terrain Control, Biomes O’ Plenty, EpicWorldGenerator, etc.)

Installation Instructions

Please note, IslandCraft drastically changes the terrain generation of your world. Please make sure you backup everything before installing this plugin!

Releases

Please note, this is a BETA release. Expect bugs (though I’ve done quite a bit of testing). Please report any issues on github.

Source Code

FAQ

• Can I have floating islands?
    • Yes indeed! Just install VoidCraft to the same world!
14 Likes

Loving the style, certainly creates an interesting world to explore and build in! I imagine that a lot of people will love exploring this world, especially with 1.9’s improved boats coming soon. :smiley:

2 Likes

How do you install islandcraft and voidcraft on singleplayer?

Assuming you have installed SpongeForge for single player… (let me know if you need help with that ;))

• Only do this for a new world, never apply these generators to an existing world!
  • Open minecraft, go to single player, create a new world, close minecraft
  • Put both plugin JAR files in your “%AppData%\.minecraft\mods” folder.
  • Edit the file “%AppData%\.minecraft\config\sponge\worlds\overworld\{world-you-just-created}\world.conf”
  • Search for “world-generation-modifiers” and set it to:
    • world-generation-modifiers=[“islandcraft:biomes”, “voidcraft:terrain”]
  • Open minecraft, go to single player, delete the world you just created, create a new world with the exact same name (use “customized” if you want to adjust the ore distribution as described here)
  • The world should be now created with both generators.

Let me know how you go, please ask if you have any questions!

No, no, no!!!

Seriously, though, 1.9 boats are just awful :slight_smile:

They certainly don’t break like the old ones did, which is the most significant improvement imo.

Only if you use them on water… have you tried them on ice!!! :smiley:

You can easily change the IslandCraft config file to generate frozen ocean instead of ocean. Job done :wink:

Finally you can look around while travelling. I found it annoying that the boats direction changed to where you looked at :confused: Haven’t tried the new mechanics yet, though.

Afaik you could also install a worldmanager like ProjectWorlds and generate the new world there. Then change the default world and spawn to the new world and delete the old one. Haven’t tried this yet, but it should work.

Thanks for the tip! I have not yet tried this approach myself, but I’ll look into it and add the steps to the wiki when I get a chance. I know a lot of people will want IslandCraft as a separate world rather than overriding the default.

Small addition:
You must create the new world first before deleting the old one, as having a valid overworld is mandatory. So removing the old world and then creating the new one won’t work.

Another thing that actually should be possible:
you can select the wgen while creating a new world. When using Biomes o’Plenty (the forge mod) you can choose it as custom Wgen, like vanillas flat or amplified. I’m not sure if it’s already possible to register your wgen to allow this, but if it’s possible it would save a lot of work and fiddeling.

Are the islands where you spawn the only ones in the world?

There are an infinite number of islands. By default they are distributed like this:

(top-down view, colors represent biomes, like AMIDST).

You can configure the size of the islands and the separation between them.

Cool, thanks! I have an idea for a plugin that could combine some this, some stuff I write, and a map for a server.

1 Like

What’s that program you’re using?

Something I was working on quite a while ago. Never got around to finishing it.

The idea was to make a tool so people could play with the configuration and see the results in real-time before creating their world.

2 Likes

forge-1.10.2-12.18.0.2002-1.10.0-universal.jar
spongeforge-1.10.2-2002-5.0.0-BETA-1527.jar
IslandCraft-Sponge-1.0.3-BETA.jar

forge-1.8.9-11.15.1.1890-1.8.9-universal.jar
spongeforge-1.8.9-1890-4.2.0-BETA-1574.jar
IslandCraft-Sponge-1.0.3-BETA.jar

[04:03:24] [pool-3-thread-5/ERROR] [Sponge]: The Scheduler tried to run the task islandcraft-A-2 owned by org.spongepowered.mod.plugin.SpongeModPluginContainer@7dd4fd48,
but an error occured.
java.lang.NoSuchMethodError: org.spongepowered.api.plugin.PluginContainer.getVersion()Ljava/lang/String;
        at com.github.hoqhuuep.islandcraft.Metrics.postPlugin(Metrics.java:339) ~[Metrics.class:?]
        at com.github.hoqhuuep.islandcraft.Metrics.access$400(Metrics.java:58) ~[Metrics.class:?]
        at com.github.hoqhuuep.islandcraft.Metrics$1.run(Metrics.java:247) ~[Metrics$1.class:?]
        at org.spongepowered.api.scheduler.Task$Builder.lambda$execute$0(Task.java:138) ~[Task$Builder.class:1.8.9-1890-4.2.0-BETA-1574]
        at org.spongepowered.common.scheduler.SchedulerBase.lambda$startTask$0(SchedulerBase.java:177) ~[SchedulerBase.class:1.8.9-1890-4.2.0-BETA-1574]
        at java.util.concurrent.Executors$RunnableAdapter.call(Unknown Source) [?:1.8.0_91]
        at java.util.concurrent.FutureTask.run(Unknown Source) [?:1.8.0_91]
        at java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor.runWorker(Unknown Source) [?:1.8.0_91]
        at java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor$Worker.run(Unknown Source) [?:1.8.0_91]
        at java.lang.Thread.run(Unknown Source) [?:1.8.0_91]

However, the map is generated.

In the header a link to the old version. The author does not appear. Here is a link to the releases: https://github.com/hoqhuuep/IslandCraft/releases
IslandCraft-1.0.6 working fine.

Thanks for the bug reports! These are because I have not yet updated the implementation for the new Sponge API versions. IslandCraft is written for Sponge API v3.0.0, but they’re up to v5.0.0 now…

I’m not going to promise a date, but I’ll keep this on my list of things to do.

Cheers!

2 Likes