Poll: Favorite Java IDE

Can we even call BlueJ an IDE haha :wink:

Text editor != Integrated Development Environment

3 Likes

Eclipse for life <3

Fair enough. I didnā€™t realize the integrated partā€¦

IDEs are great and increase my productivity (Eclipse/IDEA) when working on nontrivial projects, but thereā€™ll always be a special place in my heart for something a little moreā€¦ 80x24.

1 Like

I would say use an IDE because it allows you to add dependencies instead of the complicated way notepad does.

For any non-trivial project you will want to use an IDE or you will get caught in all the nuances of the java compiler, syntax and formatting and you will not be able to focus on the code itself.

vi or emacs, make your choice :smiling_imp:

Um, I like to use nano :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

nooooooooo! Vi is love, Vi is life.

@jesse: yeah, I haveā€¦ Itā€™s truly awful :confused: not sure what Adobe are thinking

For who using Maven to compile, three are goods. Personally, I use Eclipse only for the plugin JAutoDoc.

But the best editor ever is DOS edline :smiley:

I used to be an Eclipse fan, then someone recommended I try IDEAā€¦ I never looked back, itā€™s a fantastic IDE in every respect.

1 Like

IntelliJ IDEA. This shouldnā€™t even be a discussion.

Mind, I am partial to Vim on occasion.

3 Likes

Personally i use Eclipse. But i gotta say, IntelliJ IDEA is better.

Yours sincerely,
Marijn van Wezel

Microsoft Word master race.

10 Likes

That looks so erā€¦ professional! :smile:

The best IDE for you is plain and simple the IDE that you feel the most comfortable and productive using. Programming is a craft like any other. If you ask ten different carpenters ā€œwhat is the best toolbox?ā€, youā€™re likely to get at least two different answers. Same goes for IDEs.

I like IntelliJ because it feels snappier and more intuitive to me than Eclipse does, and the first and only time Iā€™ve tried Netbeans, its UI was glitching. Iā€™m content with my IDE of choice, and unless itā€™s missing a very important feature that is guaranteed to boost my productivity significantly without a significant cost, I have no reason to switch. The same goes for everyone else (whether they agree or not). This poll should really be named ā€œwhich IDE do you use?ā€, because thatā€™s essentially what it boils down to if you skip all the zealotry and bullshit.

Oh yeah, and thisā€¦

Nevermind that BlueJ is a learning environmentā€¦ That said, anyone who says that BlueJ is useless (not your words, but it strengthens my point) clearly doesnā€™t understand how to use the environment, and probably only says so in the arrogance of seeing themselves as ā€œgrown upā€ in terms of ā€œprogramming lifeā€. Youā€™re not meant to write plugins with it, youā€™re meant to create small programs that you can easily visualize and inspect. The object dock and the object inspection tool are second to nothing in terms of ā€œapproachabilityā€. Then thereā€™s the fact that BlueJ has a tiny footprint compared to the big IDEs - letā€™s see who finishes first if the job is to check what the result of the expression x++ + ++x is, or what the state of a simple POJO is after calling a method on it. The right tool for the job is the tool that gets the job done most efficiently at the lowest cost - there is no reason why that canā€™t sometimes be BlueJ, a simple text editor and command-line compilation, or even a Java REPL. Besides, just because you played with egg shakers when you were a kid doesnā€™t mean they canā€™t be used to create wonderful music you love as an adult.

Never do that again. It hurts my eyes. I want to flag that post. Errh! :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Lawlā€¦