Small Status Update - 10 October, 2014

That’s a good question. Maybe they are just doing concept work. But I’m sure we can count on them :wink:

Have developers been contacted in response to the API developer forum?

Sorry about the lack of updates on the API developer form. I read through a substantial amount of them and sorted them out but didn’t get a chance to send off any letters yet.

This is slowly coming together. I can’t wait for it to be finished!

Update: We aim to have the API itself ready for developers to work on plugins in November. The official Forge-based implementation has no ETA at this time.

8 Likes

So we can start porting but can’t test it right? I will need to get into unit tests…

Correct, the implementation will be needed before you can run tests/use plugins, but you should be able to begin porting to our API in November.

I already have an implementation of the current API made, that I do plan on releasing very soon. However, the API is most likely going to change considerably by November.

Yay can’t wait to see the results of a first working build, eventually :smiley:
May sound weird but I’m kinda glad were slowing down lately through my final exam period so I don’t really miss out much :wink:

Keep up the good work sponge team thumbs up

1 Like

If you could release it in november for testing it would be great

This is actually why I kind of don’t support the fact that Sponge is built on top of Forge. Updating will just takes ages everytime Minecraft updates. That is not a sustainable solution for most servers. In my opinion, the focus should first lie on a direct implementation, and only then we should start worrying about Forge mods.

4 Likes

You say direct implementation like it is easy. It is not. Besides we cannot legally make a direct implementation. That was the problem with bukkit, it dealt with GPL code on a proprietary platform. That would put sponge into a crazy amount of gray areas and uncertainty. Also, making a direct implementation would probably take twice as long as working off forge as they would have to decompile, rename and do everything that the MCP and Forge team already does.
The only software that sponge could ever potentially make a direct implementation of would be glowstone which is a 100% open source version of the minecraft server, but it is far from finished.

3 Likes

Thanks for updating, News enough to keep everyone occupied :smile:

1 Like

Thanks for all of the hard work you guys are putting into this api i can wait for it come out.

1 Like

Sarcasm? When is the next commit occurring? What is the status of all the PRs?

The PR’s were requested to be stopped a while ago, as for the commits, creating an API is more based on decisions than quickly coding. New code is released as we make decisions.

Which is every…?

There isn’t a designated time for it. You can expect a lot more frequent commits over the next month however, as we have an API release goal of in November

Good to know, thanks.