Sponge vs Rainbow

Who says that they will only be ported to Sponge. I could just port WorldEdit to Husk, it’s open source :wink:

It download’s for me…

I made that post 10 days ago, it didn’t work at that time… >.>

rainbow user here, it has some really nice plugins actually, world edit, lockette, log block, zoning for protecting areas, TONS of stuff being created for this api, Furyan0127 is making custom mob drops and loot for Adventue Lands Survival server. Lots of cool discussions about this api, looks promising.

4 Likes

What i like about rainbow is that they DO have something released and there is new stuff every day. And sponge seems to be very very slow. I am sorry to say this. I am just a stupid little user.

But for shore i go for sponge. IF they release it before minecraft v2 comes.

1 Like

Unless minecraft updates to v2 without warning in the next couple of months, Sponge will probably be out by then. And that’s not even something that’s confirmed to be released any time soon. And it was already explained here why progress has slowed for the time being.

tl;dr: Forge needs to be updated to 1.8 and the ECS needs to be finished. The ECS especially is important to be carefully planned out because

Yes rainbow is out now and working great and yes that is impressive. I just wanted to make sure you knew that there is a reasonable reason behind the wait.

3 Likes

He never said they’d only be ported to sponge, he said they’d be officially ported. That is a hell of a difference.

Yes, open source is great for making people being able to continue, port and expand on something. But when the creator of it is in on it that make it even better. Atleast in my book.

1 Like

To many Platforms
Now days there is sponge Husk Rainbow Arrow PotionMC(A project I am working on that is already on 1.8 and works (measing some stuff) that no one probably ever heard about)
It is going to be allot harder now to find Plugins to work for evreything :frowning:

Give that time after the first few months we will know what project will be the main attraction and the one we have to build plugins for.

(I am putting my chips on sponge)

Arrow was discontinued due to lack of support.

Proof:

However there is also Granite, don’t forget them!

Ya ya ya So one quited and you added another one
the only reason I am still making my server Platform is just to learn and Beacuse peapole from my comuntty wanted to see
how it will look

I have nothing against sponge hell i used half of the plugins made by the devs of sponge on my servers.Now with that being said I must apologize for some of my words in here.Its just some of the people who support sponge do nothing but hate on other platforms.Like all the pros and cons in this topic.They have no clue how far sponge will go or rainbow for that fact.So now i list some of the facts for rainbow.

1)DIW the creator of Rainbow works tirelessly putting out new builds and updating
2)We have an ever growing community with new plug in devs working hard to make plugins for rainbow
3)You have dedicated forum staff always on top of things making the site easier to navigate

some notable plugins already made for rainbow
Pl3xCommands v0.1 BETA11 (essentials like)
RainbowLogBlock
Rainbowcord (helps hook into bungee) and yes I run a bungee server with Rainbow hooked
Pl3xPerms v0.2 (first perm plugin that replaces the built in perms)
ProtectionCore Beta 0.6
AntiCheat beta
Lottery
Kits!
Rainbow Chest Lock 1.4
RainbowVotifier (CoolV’s Edition)
Server Shop!
RainbowEdit (WorldEdit)
Rainbow Zones
and more …

So good luck to sponge
but i can guarantee Rainbow wil not be going no where but up.

Have a Nice Day

1 Like

Sounds credible.

i heart rainbow, plus it is super easy to use

Pros and cons are just that, both good and bad points. Yes some people are assuming Sponge will go farther than Rainbow and that’s conjure because no one truly knows at this point but others were pointing out very solid opinions on the state of api (at the time of the posting) comparing it to Sponge’s then current and/or planned api.

And making points about this project’s plugin dev’s following vs your’s is also a credible point to make as you already know by making that list.

Yes some people were hating on it and that was already said it wasn’t the point of the topic creator. He wanted comparisons and it got a bunch of pros and cons (mostly) which is what he was going for. To be honest, hearing everyone’s opinions on the matter, both good and bad, makes me believe in the project more than a list of plugins because I can see the problems and risks of using it and weigh them against the things it’s gotten right.

Plus, in my opinion, there simply isn’t enough of a active plugin following for either one yet to say which one will lead the pack and in my opinion, that matters most of all. As much as I love Sponge and believe in it, if the tide for plugin dev turns to another platform then I’ll go over along with them. Rainbow or one of the many others.

Of course that wont be for a long while to give them enough time to build plugin library of course

You say you love sponge but cant play on it.Its like saying i love my blind date before meeting her.thats what i dont understand the commitment of users to sponge based on whos making it.I like to see and feel things before comparing. you can try rainbow so there is a way to make that comparison but you cant play on sponge so how can any pros and cons be accurate.also my point of listing plugins made for rainbow is just my way of pointing out we are growing…Im not hating on sponge just the people dissing rainbow based on what they read here.Until sponge is up and working its all here say.the planned api and all the hype. i can say I plan to live forever but we know thats a lie.I withhold judgement on sponge until i can play on it.

1 Like

Well, I guess rather than loving Sponge I should’ve said I love the idea and the plans of sponge. I also love the idea of all these developers who I known and trust and used their plugins/mods/anything else for years getting together to make it so it brings me great hope for the project. And you can already compare Sponge to to Rainbow in the following ways:

1. What each project is trying to accomplish and their approaches to it. Sponge runs off forge and Rainbow is a custom jar for example.

2. Rainbow’s current Plugin following vs Sponge’s plugin following. Many Bukkit plugin devs are already planning on porting their old plugins over to Sponge and I doubt they’ll change their minds in a matter of a month when the api gets to the state where porting can begin. Compared to Rainbow, it seems like most of the plugins are new and rainbow specific. (Rainbow Chest, Rainbowcord, etc) Yes they haven’t been ported yet but it’s a valid point to make.

3. Again, devs can compare rainbows current api to Sponge’s api and give their pros and cons. Yes Sponge’s isnt ready yet but enough info about it is out there to give dev’s a good idea how it’ll work and handle.

4. Legality. Yes it’s already been debated and we know your stand on it. But still some users may feel better developing for Sponge since it doesn’t supply any minecraft assets along with it unlike Rainbow and, especially after the buyout, they may feel like it has a better chance of surviving. Plus, microsoft already said they wont disrupt mods and forge is one of the most popular modding apis. For microsoft to dmca forge would be one of the most foolish things they could do.

5. Trust. Most people here including myself have used many of the dev’s projects before whether they were plugins or an entire modding api. With that amount of use comes an obvious trust and many believe that they’ll deliver on at least a decent project. And with Rainbow, not many people knows these “new devs” or even the core development team. So some may not want to go over based on that alone. While some others may want to give you a chance. Or maybe even someone could vouch for you having used one of the dev’s plugin’s in the past. There’s more to the projects than just the code. There’s also the reputation of the devs and if people will be willing to take a chance to follow them.

There you go. Just five ways you can compare they two without having to play them. And even if you had to play them, it doesn’t matter what matters is how decent the api is and how many devs will use it.Vanilla Rainbow should play the same as Vanilla Sponge so to compare them at their base playability would be foolosh.

Yes you are growing but so is Sponge. Just not in ways you may see yet. I will withhold judgement on which one is truly better than the other until several months pass after Sponge comes out and the plugins begin being ported but comparing the two and deciding which one you’ll go for is perfectly reasonable because rainbow, like sponge, is still early in it’s life. It may be out now and have plugins for it but, as you said, it’s being updated every day and hasn’t reached it’s fullest potential yet.

Edit: added another point

Edit 2: corrected some typos

Yes like you said “Stupid litte user” yes you are as you said, Sponge IS NOT ready for any kind of download as it being build from the ground up, okay its new so thats why it take time to get even ready for any kind of download for us. but when you look at Rainbow from what i know its the bukkit that have been edited with the normal Minecraftserver.jar so it works like bukkit when its not, so by that its ready for downlods and testing. so yes
you can say that sponge is very very slow but here the thing. You want a rush modding api with many bugs and crash or a ‘not’ rushed Sponge build that works with no crash and a few bugs as there will allways be that litte bug :frowning:

• Hobiten…

I’ve tried out Rainbow for 1.8, and it seemed to work adequately in the small server tests I ran. At least it gave us some useful tools like warps for 1.8, although the Janitor tends to spam the log a bit. I have no serious complaints about it’s functionality, just the limited range of plugins available (which is quite understandable).
That said, I’ll still hold out for an API that can handle a range of plugins similar to the 40-odd that my 1.7.10 server is using at present. It’s all about the Baggage, and my server has a lot of it. I’d hate to lose the power and complexity of the detailed configs I have evolved over the years. I’m hoping that most of the plugins will make it to 1.8 in Sponge (and the signs are good), and that the configs won’t need to be significantly rewritten. So in the long term, I want Sponge.
If I were starting a server from scratch, the appeal of a server wrapper that’s actually ready NOW would probably be irresistible, and Rainbow would be my choice.

So there you go, 2-bob each way. I wish success to both teams.

1 Like

While it might seem like a trivial point, I simply couldn’t bring myself to use an API which puts underscores in its class names. Java has coding conventions which 99.9% of software uses - what makes Rainbow special?

2 Likes