Sponge Should Have a GUI

Although I like the idea, I don’t think it’s part of Sponge’s aim as an API. It’d likely be a third party thing if done. And as someone else mentioned, if it’s an internal server hosted on the server, it could easily start eating RAM and waste resources. However, (and I’m just guessing that it could be done, or even would be a wise move), it’d be neat if Sponge allowed fetching extended server details via web requests. Maybe provided a key or password specified in Sponge’s config.

we talked about this, integrating a single purpose web server would be to resource costly. instead we proposed that there should be a php or javascript interface that could be embedded into any existing website.

O okay, so maybe 3rd party developers can create web servers to make their own panels for server owners?

Right, so it could just be embedded in an admin aria of your server’s existing webpage, run on hiawatha or NGINX or anything else, as long as it’s running on the same server box.

edit: so as not to offend the apache fans added “anything else”

1 Like

Im not an Developer so i hope i doesnt missunderstanding somehting (please correct me if im wrong) but how the guy seems to be started or not started because if you got linux server and wanted to start without gui how thats gona work ? With an - option command while starting the jar or anything else ?
i hope i dont say anything wrong.

By the way im not an big fan of the Gui (i like the web panel idea more) or even no gui

I would implement an webinterface directly in Sponge Server. See here: How about an builtin Webinterface?

• Morph

At most, we might have a very basic GUI like the MC one. Something for people who just want a server for their family or friends kind of deal but aren’t interested in figuring out command arguments.

It would be very simplistic. Something someone could make in a few hours that would never need an update.

But we’re not going to put in a full blown control panel.

11 Likes

i can agree with you completely

I have planned to try to make a BukkitGUI like for Sponge.
But it’s stupid, minecraft_server.jar gui is just a console… but with a GUI, lel.

The GUI is not that! , is an easy Windows Program , and for Linux , and Mac , like “an terminal”

To be honest I would prefer it if any web interface could use an external webserver such as Apache/NGINX

I think BukkitGUI will support Sponge in the future. It’s the best GUI I have seen

2 Likes

I didn’t read every post, But I would STRONGLY recommend no gui. I would hate to have to run a gui on my boxes, unless there will also be a -nogui flag.

A simple gui is already part of Forge:

Formore, maybe a plugin will add a webinterface:

I don’t get why people want to have a web interface or even a GUI. This is all I need for a remote minecraft server: https://forums.bukkit.org/threads/admn-remotetoolkit-r10-a15-restarts-crash-detection-auto-saves-remote-console-1-7-2.674/.
The telnet client :wink:.

1 Like

Because NOT EVERYONE CAN USE A CONSOLE - That’s it. :wink:
I’m a developer, but I know what the customer needs.
I’m not a designer, but I know, that end users may work better with a simple frontend instead of a console.

• Morph
2 Likes

@Morph has a point. We can’t expect everyone to be fluent with raw consoles, even server owners. Minecraft isn’t a game only for the l33t ub3r h4x, but there is a point that any in-built GUI should not interfere with those who insist on not using it, so it’d likely have a -nogui flag regardless. I’d think people who are programming would likely be aware of, or even inclined to, using the same methods you’d like to use, so they’ll likely implement a way to get around GUIs if they include one, it’s not like they’re designing anything for a super-specific to audiences, as far as I’m aware. Hate the see the Minecraft community become the tech-Aryan race. Let’s just throw Godwin’s Law into the mix for the hell of it I guess.

Most of us already use SSH and SCREEN, having console access is not the issue at hand.

Thanks @OffLuffy! You realized my intention to build a user-friendly interface. A GUI is nice too, but most of all Minecraft Servers run on headless Linux machines. So a webinterface makes much more sense because it can be accessible from everywhere and from any device that has a working browser and internet access.

• Morph

Most of us here, yes. But not most of the users. There are more that enough people never heard something about linux or consoles or they are just beginners. Additional, a webinterface is much easier accessible instead of SSH. Of course, you can install a SSH Client on your mobile device - I have it too! But configuring a server though SSH on a mobile device is crap!

• Morph