How about an builtin Webinterface?

Hey there!

Right now I got the idea to implement a Webinterface directly in Sponge Server. Why?
So there is no need for some 3rd party software and the server admin can directly configure his server through the webinterface.

Here is the issue I created: http://issues.spongepowered.org/youtrack/issue/SPONGE-52

• Morph
2 Likes

Many people forget that sponge will be a forge core mod that has an API for plugins. A web interface will be a plugin feature.

Thats what I said: If the webinterface is builtin, there is no more need for a 3rd party plugin.
I would love it when you can setup a server directly through a webinterface.

• Morph

So you want everyone that makes a server have to run a small webserver? Sponge is an API, nothing will get build in it.

I know, that Sponge is an API. But Sponge is a Wrapper too. And in fact, Sponge is a Minecraft Server for the end user. So what’s wrong with implementing a small Webserver to provide a webinterface?

• Morph

Please read:

Why not write a plugin for that?

2 Likes

Sponge is a Forge coremod.

pls read this: Sponge FAQ - Google Docs

1 Like

I’d read the document multiple times. But ok, let’s write a Plugin for Server administration. Maybe I misunderstand what Sponge is, although I read the document, the IRC, much of tickets and so on.

• Morph

@sk89q has already somewhat touched on that idea as it was brought up in this post

The idea being that a lot of people won’t need those features, and that if they’re absolutely necessary for others, they can be added via plugins or third party wrappers.

1 Like

All right, thanks for feedback! :wink:

• Morph

Sob why can’t people just learn what an API is. That is a feature of a plugin, I will say no more.

Hi , no WebInterface for Servers , or an Windows Program for the easy control of the server is actually in code

Sorry, but I’m an API developer :wink: You should checkout my profile and GitHub Account first before you charge that I didn’t know what an API is. And Sponge is an API, yes. I got it!

Sponge will be an API. With that said, I do not agree a little web server hosting this interface should be implementen within the API itself. I prefer an plugin or even an external piece of software making this possible.

As I am writing this reaction, I was thinking about the purpose of this. Is something like MCMA exactyle what the reason of a webinterface is?

This would be nice, however, they’re are two alternatives that are free and they work, MineOS and PufferPanel, just google them.

I don’t get the obsession with having GUIs for this built in. I run my servers just via SSH and most people seem to just do that. It is a waste of the projects time this is a feature most people don’t need and should be implemented as a plugin.

I get why people want GUIs I just don’t think it is the place of the project to waste time on a feature I don’t think most people will use.

1 Like

It’s easy. I work with SSH too, most of the time. I sometimes used a webinterface, but mostly my customers used them. The reason: I can work much better with the terminal. But there are as much as peoples who never has seen a terminal or something similar. So, for hosters a webinterface were great!

But I agree: A webserver in ANY running server is bad. For example you run 10 Minecraft servers on a machine and 10 webservers too, because there are builtin. Of course, you could disable them in the servers configuration, but I fully agree: It would be better to implement a webinterface as standalone application or server plugin.

• Morph
1 Like

We only have so much time to do so many things. Having to write and maintain more features ultimately means we spend less time on other things, and some of those other things are probably more important.

That’s why it’s not really in the best interest of everyone for us to maintain it.

2 Likes

Thanks for reply and clarification, @sk89q :thumbsup:
So, I probably will implement a webinterface later and will continue to help out where I can.

• Morph