[1.16.5] Custom Modpack Server Crash on Launch

Hey Everyone,

I have a custom modpack using spongeforge-1.16.5-36.2.5-8.1.0-RC1246. For about 2 days, the server would launch perfectly fine and was playable with no issues, lag, or TPS drop. Since then, nothing has changed in regards to player count (2 players), plugin count, or mod count…we’ve simply just been playing.

Towards the end of launch before it prepares the spawn level, I repeatedly get a crash, detailed in the pastebin shown later.

My crash log/error message is pretty much the same as mentioned THIS thread right here, though the fix they found isn’t applicable to my situation since in that thread, a specific mod/plugin that I don’t have was causing the issue.

I respond quick, so please feel free to request additional information.

Pastebin: https://pastebin.com/LQ8fXBRz

A random attempt at trying to fix this was swapping the version of the plugin I used…server started and seemed to be running fine for about 1 minute, then crashed with the following crash report (No player event joined the server yet)
*Description: Exception in server tick loop

java.lang.IllegalStateException: Overworld settings missing*

Pastebin: https://pastebin.com/5pYn256E

After this crash, I tried restarting again am back to the original issue with “ServerHangWatchdog”…

The crash logs arnt telling ys anything other then its a server watchdog error (normally means either a infinite loop detected or something is taking longer then expected).

Based on the world settings issue you had. My guess is its a silent crash asynced trying to load a world and the synced thread is waiting for the other to finish properly.

I know for a none technical user that means nothing. But thought I toss my coin into the ring.

As for the fix. Try the server with a fresh world (obviously backup your current world) and see if it still happens

So a fresh world seems to be running fine…a little unfortunate because I wanted to pin the nail on what is causing this issue

Well now you know its the world. You could restore the world you just backed up and try working out whats wrong.

My guess would be one of the chunk files. If the crash is happening on boot then I would say a spawn chunk. You could try removing the chunk files in the world, seeing if that fixes the issue. If it doesn’t, then dont restore the files until you find the issue. Once found, restore the other files unless it crashes again (could be multiple corrupted chunk files)