All JetBrains products are free for students!

You won’t need access to JetBrains paid utilities to start learning to code, or any JetBrains stuff at all I’d think. Even a fair warning that IntelliJ (JetBrains’s Java IDE) may not be as simple to pick up as Eclipse (although I do prefer IntelliJ). I’ve seen someone recommend Codecademy for those who want to learn to code, although I can’t vouch for it (I’ve never used it), and not sure what languages it offers.

Ah, thank you for that link!

I do already have Eclipse installed, I played around a bit with making some bukkit plugins before… Even if they aren’t beneficial for learning, it’ll be great to have these things when I do actually know how to use them : P

I think Bukkit plugins can be beneficial enough. Just important to recognize where the Bukkit API ends and Java begins if you start with Bukkit like I did. In fact, I don’t fancy much programming with Java outside of the Bukkit API, although I did have about 3 semesters of java classes. I think when I started learning Java, I referred mostly to the New Boston’s videos (at the time, he had a series specific to Bukkit that I watched)

ohh woops, I meant the jetbrains programs, not bukkit!

But yeah bukkit has been alright to start with I think… Or, at least, it proved to me that you can make neat stuff if you just know how. (I was mostly following youtube tutorials aha)

Lurking spigot forums and even these forums it seems like most people disapprove of learning java first, that you should start with C / C++, or a web-based language like html…

I saw some parallels with PHP, so that somewhat helped me learn Java, but also web scripting via JavaScript might help as well. I don’t know about other web languages as they apply to Java. But I think learning Java first is fine. I believe C variants are generally harder to pick up since they’re lower level coding languages (I for one, can’t even set up a C++ IDE properly it seems). Java is relatively high level, meaning that certain tasks (like garbage collection) is automatic, versus C variants needing to have it executed manually (so I’ve heard), and that C languages aren’t as friendly as Java, and if done wrong, can have adverse affects to the PC your developing on. I’ve heard C doesn’t mind re-writing all the data on your hard drive if you’ve ‘told’ it to.

The accounts are basically Google Accounts just managed under an entity. Meaning you can basically login to any Google site using the full email. (Providing the entity allows that Google Product).

I highly doubt they allow merges of Non-App and App accounts, I have one of those Free GApp accounts from way back, Edu is probably different.

Anyways, If your school has/your in a programming class you could probably bug the school to see if Jetbrains can whitelist EMails for students that are in programming classes and/or some classroom licenses.

Nothing on that page says you need a .edu mail:

“All you need to apply is to be a student and have access to your student email address or a valid ISIC card.”

My university email worked just fine, and I am not an American student.

That’s sweet…though I don’t have either of those for my school either.

Oh interesting… but what does your university’s email end with? I always assumed student email = .edu, sorry about that.

Java definitly isnt an easy language to learn first, but it is better I think in the long run. I know with c you actually have to deal with removing stuff from ram when you are done with it (not sure which version or if it is with all versions). Java is a very fun language and it is used more for programs than games I believe. While c is known for being more game oriented.

Omg you made my day.

Wow this is awesome! Thanks for sharing :smiley:

Nice! Free stuff. Always like that :cat:

Codecademy offers HTML, CSS, JS, jQuery, PHP, Python, and Ruby. I’m staff there, not that anyone cares. But anyway, no, not a good place to learn Java but it can get you going with very very basic things. It won’t, by any means, make you fluent. But it’s a great starting place.

Ah, thanks for letting me know XD Just saw someone mention it, never used it before. I learned from an internet forum and videos from the same website primarily, so I don’t think I have a decent tutorial source to give people otherwise @.@

Yeah, tbh, if I had to recommend places to learn I would not recommend Codecademy in its current state. It’s still too early to be practical, but maybe some day when QA is a bit better.