Amd recall process

I am currently in the process of recalling an AMD ryzen processor using the warranty and just wanted it documented somewhere as others have had mixed experiences

Website

Date: 2024-03-29 (year-month-date) - Friday

This was a bit bothersome but few websites get it right.

AMD have 2 places where you can open a recall ticket, the first one i tried was this. This is the incorrect form. Instead you needed to use this

Contact

After using the correct form, i got a automatic reply stating that someone will be in contact shortly

Date: 2024-04-02 - Tuesday (Monday was Easter monday)

I get a email from amd asking for me to give more detail about the troubleshooting linking me to this. My original troubleshooting details where in reply to the ones shown on the original link, while these are more in depth. I reply within 10 minutes as i had already done the troubleshooting that applied (aka not the 2 8pin power on gpu as my gpu only has 1)

While there is no reply option on the portal and the email i got did not state how to reply, i made the assumption to both reply to the email and send a fresh email to the same email address in hopes it reached someone

Date: 2024-04-03 (Tuesday)

Get a automatic email from amd stating that i should pack up my processor and send it to the address on the email.

Then 2 minutes later i get a email from the same customer support person as before, with a prepaid envelope (using DHL) and instructions on how to safely package my processor

Delivery to them

Date: 2024-04-04 (Thursday)

I send off the processor using the prepaid label

Date: 2024-04-05 (Friday)

DHL state that its arrived

Date: 2024-04-08 (Monday)

I get a automatic email stating that they have received the processor and I should expect a replacement shipment email shortly

Date: 2024-04-10 (Wednesday)

I message support for a maximum wait time (i have had issues with other companies only doing a half job until pushed - just wanted some clarification on the word shortly)

Date: 2024-04-11 (Thursday)

Got a message back from support clarifying all the information in the automatic message and that my processor has not been tested yet. They didnt clarify how short ‘shortly’ is. They did mention i would get a email when it went to testing

Testing

Date 2024-04-15 (Monday)

I saw on AMD service portal that my “replacement status” had changed to “completely processed”

Date 2024-04-16 (Tuesday)

As i was told to expect a email when the testing occurs i sent a email out to ensure that the portal was reporting the correct details

Date 2024-04-17 (Wednesday)

Got a email back stating that a replacement processor has been sent to me and will take approximately 5-6 business days

Back home

Date 2024-04-18 (Thursday)

Got a email with a tracking number and website

Date 2024-04-19 (Friday)

Received it. A brand new processor well packaged and seems to be working

overall thoughts

Things do go wrong so im not holding a grudge for a issue with the processor in the first place.

Overall the process was simple and somewhat quick.

Improvement wise would be to not leave the customer in the dark between amd receiving and sending the new processor out. I understand that you cant give a timescale as your testing a product until it fails and then moving onto the next product in the queue. However giving the customer no information is leaving them in the dark. Personally i would have loved a indicator on the amd RMA portal that said something like the queue number until testing. This would give me (the customer) something to go off and know i had not been forgotten.

I am yet to see how other processor manufactures handle RMA but hopefully i never do and hopefully thats the last AMD RMA i need to do

It’s complicated in your country. In my country, it is enough to take the goods back to the store where they were bought.

Oh you can normally do that here in the UK, but only within a year of purchase. However due to me sourcing and testing every other part, it took over a year