Are you buying the iPhone 6?

Well, seeing as the iPhone 6 and 6 Plus goes on sale here in about 45 minutes I felt like asking here :stuck_out_tongue: I personally am going to purchase the 6.

So are you guys planning on updating your phone to the iPhone 6? Are you planning on switching to Android/Windows Phone? Or are you planning on sticking with your current phone.

Yep super off topic! Enjoy! (please do not argue about who is best, everyone has their own opinions)

No. Itā€™s on level of Galaxy S3 from 2012. Android phones <3

7 Likes

I would update if I could afford it. But I also would get an Android too, if I could afford it :stuck_out_tongue:
So I guess Iā€™ll stick to my outdated iPhone 4 that still has voice control, but I guess it could be worse and I could have a Nokia brick haha. :wink:

Pretty sure iPhones have the features android did 2 years ago;) but they do look nice!

2 Likes

It depends, is the NFC hackable? This refers to the Touch ID -> http://www.istouchidhackedyet.com/

eh. Iā€™m not an apple fanboy, but if I had the option to upgrade I would, just because.

I prefer Android devices, so I wonā€™t be. Perfectly happy with my Note II and Nexus 7.

3 Likes

I will not, and never will be switching to any device Apple ever makes, including the iPhone 6 and 6 Plus. Hereā€™s why.
Disclaimer: specs sheets for the iPhone 6/6 Plus are limited as of right now, so what Iā€™m able to find may not be 100% true for iPhone-specific specs. Oh, and sorry for putting argumentative points in here, but save your money!

• Android is [mostly] open-source.
  • Going down to its Linux kernel roots, itā€™s entirely open-sourced. The only parts that arenā€™t open-sourced are any apps that Google has made proprietary (I.E. Gmail, Google Music, etc.), however thatā€™s understandable and acceptable, as there are open-source alternatives.
  • The CPU is only dual-core at 1.4GHz.
    • No, as of right now, thereā€™s not a whole lot of purpose in more than 2-4 cores for phones, but itā€™s Q4 2014. With every high end Android device Iā€™m seeing, Iā€™m seeing at least a quad-core running at no less than 1.5-1.8GHz. Some phones are even entering the 2.0GHz and above range. Software aside, specs are undeniably inferior with the iPhone. As stated by Linus Sebastian has stated in a video of his, 64-bit processors are slower because they simply have more overhead than 32-bit processors. Ever since the iPhone 5, Apple has been boasting about how their 64-bit implementation of the CPU in their new iPhone was revolutionary. Well, in reality, all it really does is slow the device down. Unless you have more than 4GB of RAM (the iPhone 6 Plus has 2GB), there is simply no need for more than 32 bits.
  • Camera technology is lacking.
  • With the Samsung Galaxy Note 4 being announced just last week, we have a peek at what the future of phone cameras are like. The Note 4 has a 16MP rear camera, while the iPhone 6 Plus has only 8MP. Sure, with phone cameras, thatā€™s not a huge difference for picture quality, but surely Apple could have but in at least a 12MP camera.
  • The Note 4 has a 3.7MP camera, which is a huge quality increase over the iPhone 6 Plusā€™s 1.2MP.
  • Both the Note 4 and iPhone 6 Plus can record 1080p videos at 60FPS. However, the iPhone 6 Plus cannot record 4K videos at all. Not that thatā€™s a huge deal if you donā€™t have a 4K monitor, the Note 4 still has the capability of doing so.
  • Iā€™m not sure how well slow-motion works for either device. I donā€™t own either device, have never seen them in any stores, etc. I can say, though, that my Note 3 takes beautiful slow-mo video. The iPhone 5S didnā€™t take bad slow-mo either. Only downside is that it downscales to 480p. Not sure how the Note 4 handles it.
  • External storage options
  • The Note 4, to no oneā€™s surprise, had the ability for a removable microSD card. The iPhone 6 Plus, to no oneā€™s surprise, didnā€™t. Sure, most people donā€™t need more than 32GB of storage in a phone, but the ability to have a removable storage device is convenient, regardless of how much space you require.
  • Proprietary Cables
  • Apple is infamous for making their iOS devices require proprietary cables, with proprietary adapters, all of which can get very pricey (note that the lightning to 30-pin adapter is $30, meanwhile the upcoming USB 3.1 Type-C to Type-A adapter will cost a mere fraction of that). As a result of this, however, compatibility has always been an issue. Of course, now that itā€™s been well over a year since everyoneā€™s had time to adjust to Appleā€™s sudden switch, Android (and the world) is still using standardized cables. With microUSB 2.0 being the most common, and the Note 4 using microUSB 3.0.
  • Battery
  • The Note 4 contains a 3,220mAh battery, while the iPhone 6 Plus contains aā€¦wellā€¦it doesnā€™t say the capacity. My Note 3 contains a 3,200mAh battery, and Iā€™m able to use it for at least a solid two days before I need to recharge it. I remember when smartphones first came out, their battery lives were all terrible and Iā€™ve have to charge at least one time a day. As for the iPhone 6 Plus, Iā€™m not sure how itā€™ll turn out. Iā€™ve seen some peopleā€™s iPhones die on them halfway throughout the day, others have made it last a day or two with moderate use. It seems to be a hit or miss with them.

Anyways, itā€™s almost 3:30AM and Iā€™m out of points to hit. Iā€™ll add more as I think of it.
Only trying to help you invest your money in a device that isnā€™t locked up! :smile:

11 Likes

Thereā€™s some things with your post Iā€™d like to point out:

You canā€™t compare processors with different architecture by just looking at the clock frequency. Thereā€™s a lot of other factors deciding how fast the processor/the phone in general is. Weā€™ll see how well or not it performs when it is out there and people can perform benchmarks.

Again, youā€™re just looking at the numbers. Sure itā€™s disappointing iPhone 6 only has 8 MP, but they made the sensor larger again and added a lot of other nifty stuff like software/hardware image stabilization and noise reduction to improve image quality. Iā€™d much rather prefer an image of a generally better quality than more pixels which are noisy at a pixel-level so they donā€™t give you any real advantage.

iPhone 6 records 240fps at 720p

4K in a phone is pretty much a gimmick right now, since it needs a lot of storage. You could fill your entire phone within minutes.

Here, Apple chose simplicity over functionality. This means that I as a user never have to worry about where to save my stuff. The only bad thing about this is that the models with more memory are quite pricey.

This is a valid complaint, a lot of people would rather see a bigger battery and not have Apple make the phone thinner again.
Weā€™ll see how much battery life this new iPhone gets though. Nobody has it yet and you should wait until reviews are out to tell how well it performs.

IMO, people should decide for themselves what phone they get. Youā€™re not really helping anybody with making that decision in an objective manner if you just list stuff you donā€™t like about it.

2 Likes

I agree with Narrowtux on this one, that is why I posted that everyone has their own opinions. All phones have strengths and weaknesses. I did not really want to argue who was better or worse (which is why I stated that in the OP)ā€¦

Anyways, I finally got my order to go thru!

I wonā€™t be, Iā€™ve been in the android ecosystem so long Iā€™d have to lose everything and start again.

That said, I also wouldnā€™t want to change. The high framerate video is nice, but apart from that and the fingerprint scanner my HTC One M8 is better for me in pretty much every category.

1 Like

Iā€™m not going to buy an iPhone, Iā€™m happy with my Galaxy Note II :slight_smile:

Iā€™m gonna stick with my galaxy.

Iphone 6 plus is a phablet :>

Itā€™s just too expensive for the crappy hardware you get. If I would buy a new phone it would be Google Nexus something.

1 Like

Happy with my Galaxy S4 LTE with Cyanogemod 11 :smile:
Still has more to offer than what the iPhone 6 has and I like having a system where Iā€™m not limited, but free to express myself.

No, itā€™s pretty much the same as most Androids from a couple of years ago. Iā€™m enjoying my superior Nexus instead.

Android 4life.

2 Likes

I also have an HTC One M8 and wonā€™t be getting an iPhone 6 / plus. Android to me, has always been more open to uses picking their own apps, customizing their phones to the maximum. Apple is the reverse, completely restricting what you can customize, locking you into using the Apple Appstore for apps, and not allowing other apps to be set as default apps.

iOS is a simple system and through its simplicity, it is a beautiful system, but beauty and simplicity arenā€™t everything. The design of the M8 is spectacular software wise and hardware wise and the phone can also perform way more than iPhones can do to its operating system.

Tasker and Tasker enabled apps are one example, which make Android an impressive tool for automation.

I agree itā€™s a bummer to not have a finger print scanner or as high frame rate, but those arenā€™t necessary to me. To be honest, I probably wouldnā€™t end up using a finger print scanner if I had one :stuck_out_tongue:

I love iOS and canā€™t stand Android - maybe I just like the simplicity of iOS and how straightforward it is to do things with it - but I certainly wonā€™t be upgrading.
Looks like crap to me personally.

People should know that the next iPhone is just another expensive device. Why pay 750 when you can get the newest Android on the market, the Moto X+1? The thing is a beast, I have itā€™s younger brother and it is amazing. To me, Apple is running out of ā€œinnovationsā€ to dazzle the public. Sapphire glass screen? Didnā€™t happen, now itā€™s ā€œion-fortifiedā€. AAPL stock has been low for a long time, and according to ComTech, Android still holds 62% of market share for phones.

Iā€™m not bashing, I donā€™t need to. I just try to let people know there are much less expensive ways to get your hands on a quality device :wink:

2 Likes