Can we install Bukkit/Spigot plugins to Sponge?

Is there a way to do it? Currently i’ve server and plugin choices are really limited in Sponge most of em not even updated.

Nope. This has been asked many times. But you can request plugins to be made and find alternatives

2 Likes

@Onur_Korkmaz As our friend above already said… bukkit/spigot plugins won’t work on Sponge.

However some (very very few) plugins are universal and they may work on both platforms. I actually did find some.

There is also a thing called Pore which I tried myself too. It helps using plugins which are made for Bukkit/Spigot on Sponge. Many plugins may not work but you can still try it! :slight_smile:

I’d like to clarify two misconceptions that are in this post.

First, there are no plugins are universal in the sense that the code works on both Bukkit/Spigot and Sponge. However, some plugins like LuckPerms or WorldEdit have multiple implementations that will run on different platforms while using a core library that is the same. The truth remains that developers will need to write implementations using the Sponge API if they expect it to work on Sponge.

Without dwelling much on Pore, I’d like to emphasize that it should not be considered stable or reliable - let alone functional in most regards. This is compounded by the fact that there isn’t a recent version anyways, and I doubt you’ll be able to start a server with it on an API 7 server. I strongly suggest you avoid recommending this to someone who may not understand the risks and forces at play here.

3 Likes

That’s absolutely true about universal plugins. Thanks for clarifying. :smile:

There are some plugins that have Sponge implementation… but for example SkinsRestorer plugin is written with bukkit-api but it still works on sponge without implementing sponge-api (tell me if I am wrong).

Our friend @Onur_Korkmaz asked if it is possible to install bukkit plugins on Sponge so I gave him some possibilites even if they are unstable (like Pore) or risky :slight_smile:

Personally, I would say that everything is worth trying even if something may not work. :slight_smile: . IMO Learning on „mistakes” is the best practice.

there are no plugins are universal in the sense that the code works on both Bukkit/Spigot and Sponge

I would like to kindly prove you wrong :stuck_out_tongue:

Here’s a proof-of concept of a plugin that can run on Sponge and Bukkit from a single jar:

And here’s a plugin I’m working on using that concept:

But generally speaking, most (sane) developers won’t put themselves through this sort of torture. For me, it’s just a fun exercise in software architecture.

1 Like

Uhh, you haven’t proven anything. You had to write specified code for both Sponge and Bukkit. This is no different from what LuckPerms does; just you have it all in the same jar.

Even something written entirely with NMS would need some setup to make sure it’s loaded on the server.

3 Likes

@Simon_Flash
Very true. Thought you meant a single jar.

@Niebek

but for example SkinsRestorer plugin is written with bukkit-api but it still works on sponge without implementing sponge-api (tell me if I am wrong).

I was really confused/impressed when I couldn’t find any Sponge-specific code while looking at its source. Turns out it doesn’t actually work. Not sure why it’s listed as supporting Sponge on its plugin page