Can't keep up! Did the system time change, or is the server overloaded?

I get this warnings pretty often, I use the latest recommended forge and the latest sponge version.
Currently there are no plugins installed, only 1 mod “thaumcraft”.
The server is running on a minimum heap of 2gb and max. 8gb.
Can someone tell me how I could fix it eventually?

[09:04:40] [Server thread/WARN]: Can’t keep up! Did the system time change, or is the server overloaded? Running 2860ms behind, skipping 57 tick(s)
[09:05:04] [Server thread/WARN]: Can’t keep up! Did the system time change, or is the server overloaded? Running 9730ms behind, skipping 194 tick(s)
[09:05:34] [Server thread/WARN]: Can’t keep up! Did the system time change, or is the server overloaded? Running 10201ms behind, skipping 204 tick(s)
[09:06:35] [Server thread/WARN]: Can’t keep up! Did the system time change, or is the server overloaded? Running 21444ms behind, skipping 428 tick(s)

Best regards,
Fallatus

That just means your server is slow. It is not an error.

Yes, but isn’t it a bad sign if the server is stuck for 10sec?

Yeah. Try running the Sponge timings. Once the messages start appearing, run /sponge timings on, wait a bit, and run /sponge timings paste.

Tryed to do what you said, but sometimes the server crashes, because of a 1 minute tick timeout (not because of the sponge timings, because of other reasons):
crashreport
crashreport2
timings

The timings didn’t capture anything. I think the server might not have run through a full tick before you did /sponge timings report. Unfortunately, you’ll need to try again.

Yeah its probably because the server timed out right after it went up.
So even if I entered a command like /sponge timings it didn’t respond and after 60 seconds it crashed.
Somehow I’ve managed to get it up and running for the time beeing, but I still have no clue what the reason is/was.
(I’ll try to record the timings when it happens again)

The issue seems to be a problem with an event ‘cause’ object taking too long to be created. There have been some recent fixes to help speed it up so grab the latest version and it should be good.

Try the new version that came out. It fixed a lot of my issues. Also,look at loading the world into ramdisk. It also helped out.

I know that tis is an old post, but i hope that somone can tell me whay i get tis “can’t keep up”, I’v made an sponge triming:
https://timings.aikar.co/?id=9a2488b277ac436c8f2aace72e929a8a#timings

I have an dual xeon x5650 2.67GHz but it runs on my vm where i have 8 thr. and 20G ram for FTB Beyond with Sponge.

I hope that you guy understand the timings becouse i normaly work with spigot and i have never seen this problem.

rgards mihion