Can't start server, vanilla or forge

I’ve tried downloading the latest of both SpongeVanilla and SpongeForge. I followed the latest directions, but I get the following crash report:

`---- Minecraft Crash Report ----
// I let you down. Sorry :frowning:

Time: 1/3/16 3:09 PM
Description: Exception in server tick loop

java.lang.UnsupportedOperationException
at java.util.concurrent.CopyOnWriteArrayList$COWIterator.set(CopyOnWriteArrayList.java:1185)
at java.util.Collections.sort(Collections.java:234)
at org.spongepowered.common.data.SpongeDataManager.lambda$finalizeRegistration$129(SpongeDataManager.java:228)
at org.spongepowered.common.data.SpongeDataManager$$Lambda$171/1485738388.accept(Unknown Source)
at java.util.concurrent.ConcurrentHashMap$EntrySetView.forEach(ConcurrentHashMap.java:4795)
at org.spongepowered.common.data.SpongeDataManager.finalizeRegistration(SpongeDataManager.java:226)
at org.spongepowered.common.registry.SpongeGameRegistry.postInit(SpongeGameRegistry.java:446)
at org.spongepowered.server.SpongeVanilla.initialize(SpongeVanilla.java:134)
at net.minecraft.server.dedicated.DedicatedServer.onServerInitialize(SourceFile:64)
at net.minecraft.server.dedicated.DedicatedServer.func_71197_b(SourceFile:171)
at net.minecraft.server.MinecraftServer.run(SourceFile:417)
at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:745)

A detailed walkthrough of the error, its code path and all known details is as follows:

– System Details –
Details:
Minecraft Version: 1.8
Operating System: Mac OS X (x86_64) version 10.10.5
Java Version: 1.8.0_05, Oracle Corporation
Java VM Version: Java HotSpot™ 64-Bit Server VM (mixed mode), Oracle Corporation
Memory: 197475008 bytes (188 MB) / 310902784 bytes (296 MB) up to 3817865216 bytes (3641 MB)
JVM Flags: 0 total;
IntCache: cache: 0, tcache: 0, allocated: 0, tallocated: 0
Profiler Position: N/A (disabled)
Is Modded: Definitely; Server brand changed to ‘SpongeVanilla’
Type: Dedicated Server (map_server.txt)`

You’re using an old JRE version, Sponge requires 1.8.0_40 and above (latest is always recommended)

@Simon816
I have updated JRE, and it shows as 1.8.0_66 in the SystemPreferences, but the crashlog still says 1.8.0_05. I restarted everything.

Hmm well perhaps the old installation is still there, you could try uninstalling it first. could also be that you have a JAVA_HOME environment variable pointing to the old location, or the PATH variable is not updated.

1 Like

Thanks for your help. Turns out you have to update JDK, NOT JRE to get the right result in Terminal.