Cell (essential commands at your fingertips)

I am not really looking for popularity but rather for an alternative solution to Essentials. If the community decides that there is no need for a plugin that provides just the basic needed commands then I will not pursue developing it.

1 Like

The idea of having a new essential command plugin is great!
With Sponge it is a good start to get new and fresh plugins w/o any old code

2 Likes

I agree but also disagree. The best code is code that evolves and changes and learns from mistakes. Yes, completely recoding things allow for better structure and planning and to fix issues in previous versions, although at the same time the better approach is to recode something with past experience and references that you can say improve upon, scrap, change, add, and remove from.

I like the name “Cell” and it’s explanation but what else is essential to a sponge? Perhaps a liquid? Maybe something mess-related?

…Anywho, with the release of new features in MineCraft such as the new title and subtitle command, perhaps a way to create pre-written titles and subtitles in the config files, much like Essential’s kits system. Would make things much more easier. But come to think of it, Essentials either currently has or had at one point a way to create your own commands by editing the properties file. It’s all very confusing.

…So there’s that! But I can’t think of anything off the top of my head as of right now, but I’m very interested in this idea. I fully endorse it.

Also, watch this space for future edits.

Cheers!

Wouldn’t ranks be determined by a permissions plugin, such as PEX?

2 Likes

What about rules.txt? Also, will this include GroupManager or are you going to make a different plugin or version with groups?

1 Like

There are already lite versions of some of the things essentials does, not that it makes any of your ideas irrelevant bc we’re not sure if any of those projects will be ported either though. But as some people have mentioned and without adding too much more I’d throw in a basic /spawn command and perhaps /broadcast of some kind. I would say tp but there are already tp commands in the base game anyways.

1 Like

How about a spawn and an ospawn, most servers i have used tend to have their spawn in a dimension of its own and then people /warp ospawn to get to “Overworld SPAWN” or allow multiple spawns to be defined.

1 Like

This seems like a great idea! I am going to add the /spawn and /setspawn commands to the lite version, but the part for allowing multiple spawns to be defined I will add to the extended edition. Thanks for the suggestion!

1 Like

SOAP is needed:)

1 Like

Could you further clarify the commands that you are looking to get? And which plugin do you think it fits into?

1 Like

There would be usefull command /ecsee [player] for viewing enderchest of the selected player, like /invsee.

1 Like

I support this project, I’ve used essentials for a while, but it has a lot of features I don’t need. Essentials tried to become modular by splitting into EssentialsSpawn, GroupManager, EssentialsEconomy, EssentialsProtect etc.

1 Like

Cell Lite:

• /warp (multiple)
  • /forward (inverse of /back)
  • /tp, tpa, tpaccept

Cell:

• /ban
  • /kick
  • /mute
  • /tell, msg, /r
  • /mail

Cell Extended:

• chat functions?
  • kits (maybe on regular Cell)

Love the name and idea, I’m not really a fan of essentials anymore as it has way to much I don’t need. (so many useless commands/commands I will never use like /bigtree, workbench, jump… etc.)

1 Like

I have added a few of your ideas into the project. As for /ban and /kick those are built into Minecraft, so as long as Sponge does not remove vanilla commands I may not add them (unless they have more use such as time based bans). The kits I have put under the Extended version of Cell for now as they will be able to be configured with prices.

1 Like

Seems like a neat idea, I’m for it. Essentials has some pretty easy commands, so making them in a new API would be easy.

1 Like

the ones that are needed are /tempmute and /tempban

banmanager is clunky at best and a server usually wants to tempmute or tempban not perma ban

1 Like

I highly doubt Essentials is going to come over and say “Let’s port Essentials!”. I think this is a great idea. Maybe add a permission system. (Cell Permissions). And add a command with /hub, /v is also handy.

~ xxmarijnw

2 Likes

How about you come help us at Foundation. We’ve discussed this in great length.

2 Likes

I’m hailing from Lapis Commons, and we’re currently working on a unified toolkit that is similar to the Essentials back-end. We will eventually move on to user-facing commands though, and any contributions are appreciated, in that respect. You can visit the website for the Lapis team here to learn more about us: http://lapis.blue/. We’re in IRC at #lapis on esper.net pretty much all the time, so you can drop in and chat anytime.

3 Likes