Commands are not working for some plugins

Hello everyone,

I just got SpongeForge working on my 1.12.2 server and unfortunately with some plugins such as SimpleChat and StackBan, I cannot use any commands because an error will pop-up such as this one. Does anyone know what I can do to fix this?

Thanks,
Blackbeard

Error log:

[12:57:38] [Server thread/INFO] [minecraft/DedicatedServer]: Error occurred while executing command: Found interface org.spongepowered.api.text.format.TextStyle, but class was expected
[12:57:38] [Server thread/ERROR] [Sponge]: Error occurred while executing command ‘sban’ for source DedicatedServer: Found interface org.spongepowered.api.text.format.TextStyle, but class was expected
java.lang.IncompatibleClassChangeError: Found interface org.spongepowered.api.text.format.TextStyle, but class was expected
at com.gmail.trentech.pjc.help.Help.getStyle(Help.java:231) ~[Help.class:?]
at com.gmail.trentech.pjc.help.Help.executeList(Help.java:258) ~[Help.class:?]
at com.gmail.trentech.stackban.commands.CMDSBan.execute(CMDSBan.java:15) ~[CMDSBan.class:?]
at org.spongepowered.api.command.args.ChildCommandElementExecutor.execute(ChildCommandElementExecutor.java:250) ~[ChildCommandElementExecutor.class:1.12.2-2705-8.0.0-BETA-3402]
at org.spongepowered.api.command.spec.CommandSpec.process(CommandSpec.java:388) ~[CommandSpec.class:1.12.2-2705-8.0.0-BETA-3402]
at org.spongepowered.api.command.dispatcher.SimpleDispatcher.process(SimpleDispatcher.java:341) ~[SimpleDispatcher.class:1.12.2-2705-8.0.0-BETA-3402]
at org.spongepowered.common.command.SpongeCommandManager.process(SpongeCommandManager.java:329) [SpongeCommandManager.class:1.12.2-2705-8.0.0-BETA-3402]
at net.minecraft.command.ServerCommandManager.executeCommand(SourceFile:1083) [dh.class:?]
at net.minecraft.server.dedicated.DedicatedServer.executePendingCommands(DedicatedServer.java:432) [nz.class:?]
at net.minecraft.server.dedicated.DedicatedServer.updateTimeLightAndEntities(DedicatedServer.java:397) [nz.class:?]
at net.minecraft.server.MinecraftServer.tick(MinecraftServer.java:668) [MinecraftServer.class:?]
at net.minecraft.server.MinecraftServer.run(MinecraftServer.java:526) [MinecraftServer.class:?]
at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:748) [?:1.8.0_181]

:1.12.2-2705-8.0.0-BETA-3402

You are using API 8. Last I checked that was very buggy and experimental with a lacking of plugins.
Try API 7 SpongeForge.

SimpleChat does not support API 8 and only development builds support API 7.

I would recommend reading the SpongeDocs. Sponge is not like Bukkit where there is a good chance that plugins that havnt been updated in 2 years will still work on the latest Bukkit. Sponge adapts to minecraft code and provides developers with a development API for that MC version, the only exception is where MC versions have not differed from one to another enough so Sponge will reuse the same API.

To make it simple. Take a look at what Sponge API version your version of Sponge is and then get plugins that match that API version. Please also note that if you get a API such as 7.1 as a Sponge version, that will be able to run 7.1 plugins and 7.0, its like that with all versions of Sponge.
The docs explains this better then I ever could so please please please read them

3 Likes

Much appreciated. I’m very new to SpongeForge but I’m quite happy to see the community is quite forgiving for those who make mistakes like me. Thank you!

2 Likes

Yes, to paraphrase Dumbledore “Help will always be given on SpongePowered to those who ask for it” (sorry girlfriend has made me watch all of them 3 times in a row).

But seriously, I am more then happy to help anyone in need where I can and I know im not the only one who helps

3 Likes