DDoS protection

Ah, guess that makes sense. It was an online server, so I guess it was someone also phishing for account details from players. Have a good idea of who it was as well since I reported him for selling hijacked accounts earlier. XD

I wasn’t saying it was practical at all, just trying to explain that minecraft can in fact be hit by a layer 7 attack… i do think a plugin that does that sort of job would be great, however it doesn’t need to be part of the core server in my opinion

1 Like

Would be something worth mentioning for GriefPrevention. That’s generally my go to plugin as NCP and such seem to cause more issues than it solves that past few times I’ve used it.

1 Like

I agree %100 the core is the framework by witch the server is managed the plugins are what manages issues as trivial as this.

Its all about configuration, there are good and bad parts to NCP, and proper configuration can help to manage those. However it will be interesting to see rather the developer “asofold” continues the plugin for Sponge or not.

1 Like

Ah, I guess that could be the case. It just doesn’t seem to function well if the server isn’t running perfectly smoothly 100% of the time.

I’ve also forwarded my suggestion to the GP thread here, if you guys feel like adding to that at all, or correcting anything I’ve said wrongly XD

1 Like

Minecraft packets are extremely small. You would literally 100,000 users joining and leaving constantly to effect the network. Your hardware would break first.

Maybe not copying and pasting from google to look smart. Yeah, that would be great.

1 Like

We don’t mean it needs to affect the network to be a DoS. DoS = Denial of Service, and even if it’s only affecting service with the Minecraft server, then I’d still think it qualifies.

You are mistaken. You know how sometimes when you join bukkit.org a page shows up saying “checking your browser please wait.” What cloudflare is doing is scanning your browser for a 7 layer attack. Like I said before a 7 layer attack is basically an application that opens webpage after webpage of a website causing it to slowdown to a crawl speed or even crash.

What part is copy pasted? And i would like to say that if multiple minecraft users attempt to join and leave the server all at once you would still have lots of lag from the software end of things. I’m afraid you may not had considered that though.

Edit:
I would like to further expand on performance being the main issue because some servers won’t have the capacity to keep up with the requests in high volume.

That sounds like a layer 7 attack specifically for web browsers though, and they’re not specifically for web browsers : /

Now you’re resorting to personal attacks? At least if he had gotten it from google, he’d have a source for his arguments. There’s no need to call him out for using a resource. At this point, I’m starting to think you’re just a troll trying to waste our time.

1 Like

Yes, because that is the only purpose of a 7 layer attack! Why can no one understand that? Or can some people just not be wrong?

the distributed portion of DDoS means that it’s not coming from a single machine, it’s coming from a swarm of a machines that are expendable and in a quantity large enough that they would cause the server’s “hardware” to break first

You seem to have missed the point of ‘layer 7’, It doesn’t imply ‘web browser’, it implies ‘Application’ as in the Application layer of the OSI model. It’s entirely justified to think that the web browser isn’t the only application in existence. If a ‘layer 7 DoS attack’ was only for web browsers, why wouldn’t it be called a ‘web browser attack’?

2 Likes

I’m aware thats what it means. I have 3 servers, making it a DDoS attack

Yes that is right, but it can’t be used to target the minecraft server, because the minecraft server isn’t an application.

I’m sure im not the only one but does this seem to say he has servers that he uses to commit DDoS attacks?

1 Like

Where the hell did you get that idea? Minecraft is an application being on a server or client : / It still handles data in accordance to the OSI model as well. Scratch that, I should say: it interfaces with protocols that handle the data in accordance with the OSI model.

@olife373 Agreed XD