Does your work became too much for you too?

For these past months, my work has been toxic for me due to the fact that we’ve stayed working with a skeleton crew even after lockdowns, and the task has been doubled or tripled in some weeks with tight deadlines.

Is there anyone here that feels the same? I wonder how have you handled stress and anxiety so far, and at the same time maintain your composure at work?

Hey. I have some empathy with how you feel. Overwork + Stress can overwhelm you. It hit me hard earlier this year, and it’s been a long road to recovery. Many changes have been made.

The best suggestion I can make is to remember that your mental health is part of your overall health. Talking to a counselor or a doctor might be what you need, and nudge you in the direction you need to go.
If you’re anxious and tired, and working makes that worse, you need a break. Find time for yourself, to do the stuff you want to do, and let yourself be free for a while. Keep in touch with friends, try to stay connected, and take care of yourself.

2 Likes

Thank you for sharing your advice Andrew, I really appreciate it. Perhaps I need to take some break from my work, though I can’t see it coming soon since we are still making ends meet. Right now, I’m just listening to some delta waves music my friend told me about that I should listen to whenever I take some break from work. It helps a bit.

Just dropping by and thought I could share this one that I’ve stumbled upon while I looked for articles that give advice on how to be resilient at work and life during this crisis. I hope that anyone who reads this will find some good advice too as I have. Merry Christmas. https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/community/mental-health-non-healthcare.html

1 Like

In general, focusing on the good things present in your life, not the bad or missing, leads to feeling better and happier.
Sometimes it is very very difficult, to focus on the good things but when I do find myself getting bogged down I go outside for a walk or drive. I put some music on and try to get lost even if just for a short time. I am also a big list maker for both work and home, some list items are all business and some are fun for me, like changing the oil or getting the snowblower ready for the season. You’re not alone so I hope that at least gives you some solace.

1 Like

Thanks for the advice man. Listening to delta waves music surely helped me on maintaining my peace of mind at work, I’ve also had my boss be aware of my condition right now and he understood it, he also gave me advice and allowed me to extend the due date for some of my tasks so I can focus better at work. :slight_smile:

1 Like

You’re welcome. CDC does pack some advice from their articles. The link you shared had it all. Like it says in there “Remind yourself that everyone is in an unusual situation with limited resources.” Happy New Year!

What works for you may be different from what works for others.
I focused on doing things I could control and recognize that are things that I cannot control.
Doing the recommended steps to help prevent contracting and passing on the COVID virus for me, my family, and others.
Staying in touch with family and friends much of which. Doing so on phone or video (e.g. Facetime) to catch up and also share how I am feeling (they have similar stresses usually). It helps me and it helps them to talk.
Eating and drinking healthy
Getting quality rest (harder when stressed)
Try and get some exercise even just a walk every day or two.
Do things that you enjoy that makes you feel good.

1 Like

I’ve realized that sometimes, one of the benefits of thinking of others is that it stops us from thinking too much about our own problems for even awhile. Thank you.

I feel stressed when I started working from home since the pandemic, I feel like I’ve been spending longer hours than when I was personally working at the office.