"Foundation" - Common APIs and Plugin Infrastructure Manager

This idea is quite nice. It’s not the best new idea, but i think it can be very successful. The thing i hate about Essentials is that it’s quite messy, like /nuke etc. I hope this will be a better alternative.

I like “Nucleus”. That was the name of a project I was creating but decided to trash. Take the name if you like.

@jdersen Thank you! I will think about it.

@Unknown1911 Thank you for the support!

@Exstar I’m glad to help! Really excited about the project, i hope it will be good. Please let us know when the development is oficially started!

@Unknown1911 Thank you! And i will let you know!

We (devs from cubeisland.de) will port this over to Sponge as soon as the API is somewhat usable.
It’s basically what is asked for: A core plugin with barely any functionality and the modules (jar files thrown in a folder) provide any thing wanted. You can go fully loaded with all the essentials stuff, permissions/groups, economy, … or just basic commands.

A suggestion I have for an Essentials-type plugin is to make use of tellraw messages as much as possible. For example, instead of having paginated output say “Type /command 2 to go to the next page.” it would have a previous and next page button. Also, I think it would be great if when you hover over a player’s name, it shows a tooltip (configurable) with their name, uuid, rank, etc.

1 Like

@Zephlon That’s a good idea! Added to the list!

@Kornagan This is how i had it in mind too. This system makes it way more easy to develop managable and non-conflicting plugins. I think it makes the development of plugins faster as well. I’m going to think how i am going to design this system with the implementation and API in mind.

@Kornagan I can use some help, thank you for your proposal. I’m going to design the API and maybe some of the implementation. However, because the Sponge API is still WIP, i can’t do much coding yet.

Your post exactly describes what the CubeEngine project I linked already is. I would just need to be ported.

The CubeEngine is also a drop-in replacement for Essentials in many cases as it was originally developed as a Essentials replacement for our server (hence the name)

@pschichtel I am aware of that, but i’m planning to add some other systems and features as well. Also, i think that a fresh new plugin is always good for a new fresh platform.

I will contribute to the project!

1 Like

I’d prefer a proven plugin over a new and buggy one any time. And as we planned to port it over to spout we already abstracted important parts.

@pschichtel That’s your opinion, but we’d like to see a modular, flexible “plugin infrastructure”, which includes some core features, like Essentials etc. had. Also, i haven’t seen a lot of servers using your plugin, so i wouldn’t call it really “proven”.

Well it’s running for over 2 years on our server so I’d say it saw some testing.

@ButterDev Awesome!

well that’s the job of Sponge itself, not its plugins