Free Java Programming App

There are none. The thing coming the closest to what you’re looking for (without the use of any remote control software) are web based IDE’s like Cloud9 IDE

My personal favourite general-purpose GUI is SmartGit/Hg, which is cross-platform and free for non-commercial use.

Actually, GH4W supports non-github repositories.

It depends on what you’re trying to accomplish. It’s awesome for committing, since it has a lot of pre-commit tasks that it can do ‘for free’ for you (code inspection, fixing imports, code reordering, etc). It also has a nice differ and log visualizer that both make it very easy to review earlier commits. Personally I tend to use the CLI for merging/rebasing, but it seems like the GUI supports that too. However, you are forced to use the CLI to perform configuration tasks beyond cloning (things like changing your name/email, or adding/removing/updating remotes).

I never said it didn’t, I just prefer sourcetree when there’s no github involved :slight_smile:

@cybersurvivor, is there any specific reason you need a mobile IDE or a tool related?

I personally just keep my computer running and then use teamviewer to connect to it.

Unlimited Data Plan For The Win!

I’d stay away from TheNewBoston. He teaches some bad habits, I’ve heard.

I tried using him years ago when I knew a little, but not a lot, about programming. What he “taught” didn’t stick with me, as I forgot it soon after closing the video. He also cannot spell to save his life, which is a rather useful skill to have as a programmer…

I’ve tried that app and instantly deleted it since I will never pay money to compile my code. A JVM implementation for iOS is available on one of the default Cydia repos if your device is jailbroken. I don’t recommend programming on iOS, but if you must… :P

You do realize that you are asking for and IDE that can code, compile and run Java on a device/operating system that doesn’t support the JRE (Java Runtime Environment).

It’s like asking a goat to make you pancakes.

Your best luck is with cloud IDE’s, like Cloud9 IDE. You’ll never find a fully native app for that.

1 Like

I use CLI git on whatever OS, be it Windows or *nix. I never really got into the gui clients. If I need to browse my code, I can look at it on github or wherever I happen to put it.

Maybe you have heard of Google? It’s an interesting place where you can type in anything and it will tell you something about it. Example: “java ide for ios”. I did this search just for the hell of it and found CodeOnTheGo and a few other iOS apps related to programming on a mobile device.

Don’t hop in here expecting people to do work for you. Many people here know and understand a bit about programming because they were passionate and dedicated enough to learn what they needed to. Many people will be happy enough to answer your question because many people like to see more join their ranks. However, you really should try to put in the work for yourself, at least for the most basic stuff like searching for something on your own.

Spend some time, do some research, decide if you really want to go down this path.

1 Like

I think this reply should be pinned on top of the discussions list.

1 Like

Websites and apps work, as long as I can run them on my iPad, to practice programming on the go!

I personal use VNC Viewer and a VNC server on my PC to do my on the go dev work.

Did you not read my reply? Do your own research man. If you can’t handle your own research, how can you learn something as in-depth as programming?

2 Likes

All I can say is that programming on a phone would be a nightmare. I can’t really recommend it. For some things you still need a PC xD

1 Like

Based on OP’s other posts, I’m starting to think he’s a troll.

I already said, I am on an ipad with a bluetooth keyboard. Much more space. It would make life at least a little easier, still, I only get on my computer FRI-SUN and the rest of the week I cannot. The only reason I posted this was because maybe someone could help me out :confused: