Hosting services

For anyone who like more control over their server, I highly recommend setting up a machine on Linode. It’s reasonably priced for what you get.

As far as the $ per RAM, it’s about the same price as FragNet, although the fact that it’s a VPS and it’s SSD based makes it look quite attractive. I’d be interested in any opinions people have about how well it handles an MC server.

I personally like NuclearFallOut’s hosting. They have very low prices, especially for VDS, and very good hardware. They also have great webhosting for as little as $30 a year, or free with a single game server.

I’ve never heard of them, I’ll have to check them out!

As far as how it handles, it’s pretty flawless. The only drawback is it’s a shared box, and if you choose a Linode between 1-8Gb of Ram, you only get some many vcore, so performance is kinda iffy depending on what you’re running/doing. I used a 16Gb Linode and it was fairly sporty. We ran a Feast the Beast server on it with 60+ players with no issues.

https://www.pulseheberg.com/game/mc

4.99€ for unlimiter slots, 4Go of ram, unlimited disk, unlimited MySQL, 30 slots Mumble, 100mo web space.

I have a server here for one year, best offer for the price i ever seen.

Why pay for a server to run via a company, why not just invest some of your time and a little money and get yourselves some PIs! You may not think this will work, but it works out much cheaper than paying every month for a server, and it gives you, the owner, total control over all of your files.

Note: You will need some prior experience about hosting a server via your own computer and not through a company to do this!

If you are interested check out my post to see all about it here, in my opinion this is the best way to get your Minecraft Server out there, running 24/7.

The issue with that is people don’t always want to give out home ips, or have slow interner (think dial-up, it isn’t as uncommon as you may think)

People don’t have to give out their own IP, you can connect them to an external IP like I do! :smiley:. And yes, they would need good internet speeds to do this, I have 9-12 Ping all the Time, 90mb/s Download Speed and 22mb/s Upload Speed. So my internet is more than enough to run this type of thing.

I’m pretty sure an external ip, is the personal one. If it’s coming through your router, most likely people don’t want to give out that ip beyond thier friends.

2 Likes

if you’re talking about your external ip as in wan ip, then that is your personal ip.

I personally don’t have any problem with people having my IP, they do and I’ve never been attacked or something, and I have several “possibly hackable” services running. One day I’ll suffer and change my mind :wink:

My big thing against home hosting is what if I irritate some script kiddie ten year old? Then I have a DDOS killing my internet.

If you have a whitelisted server for older people I don’t see the problem of home hosting. Other than that though, you should get hosting from a company.

Ten year olds can’t DDOS you. Can they?

You’d be surprised.

1 Like

They’re called script kiddies for a reason.

4 Likes

Don’t underestimate 10 year olds!

1 Like

Sometimes the world can be very frightening… :fearful:

I’ve been with [CubedHost] for a year now, and I’ve yet to have any problems with them. Might be a bit more expensive than some hosts, but the customer support has been amazing and helpful for me everytime I’ve needed to enquire something. That, and they have a server option for the most recent version of Sponge ^^.

For those of us who run their servers via their own machine: Do you run it just straight from a Linux based computer, or do you run it via a Virtual Box? 1

Running on a vm creates a few limitations, because ram allocation and Java in general is a hog. If you just want to run a small server for your friends though, a vm is fine.

I had a spare pc laying around with descent specs, so I removed windows, added Debian, and turned it into a dedicated box. However, my internet connection is my bottleneck. So it is only a dev server, to host only me and my friends.

If running it in a vm is your only option, I suggest looking at Docker. It’s less of a ram hog, and easier to switch out components when upgrading.

3 Likes