How logs should be posted on the forums

With the release of the dev builds for sponge, I have seen a few people post crash reports and what not on the forums, before we start getting full 1,000 line logs on the forums I think we should add into the rules about posting to a pastebin site.

gist, or a site that can analyse logs.

1 Like

As @ryantheleach said, when posting logs it would be best to use pastebin or a similar service (hastebin, gist, etc.)

More than anything I’d like this to be in the rules, so that way when people who decide to read them won’t post 1000 line logs or more.

I think its kinda useless to discuss this :stuck_out_tongue:. Most users will just try sponge. And have a crash, because they haven’t read the docs about how they need to install it. How do you expect that they would have read this thread?
I think its obvious that most users that are used to forums, will use pastebin or gist.

1 Like

It would be nice if code boxes had a maximum height and word wrapping would be disabled. Instead, it should display scroll bars.

3 Likes

Here’s a radical idea. Create a discourse plugin to detect when a log is pasted and suggest to the user to use a paste service (or just dump it to pastebin directly when posted).

11 Likes

That’s a great idea simon!

1 Like

Wait, they do, don’t they?

this is a BB-code style [code] block. word-wrapping is turned off, as you can tell by the fact that this really long line just keeps going
and also
if
I
type
a
new
word
on
every
line
eventually
my
text
gets
cut
off
and
is
no
longer
displayed
on
the
page
but
it
does
take
quite
a
while
this is a Markdown-style triple-backtick code block. word-wrapping is turned off, as you can tell by the fact that this really long line just keeps going
Java-mode syntax highlighting is selected by default
and also
if
I
type
a
new
word
on
every
line
eventually