I am Husk's lead developer here to clear up confusion and answer questions

I think it is a good news if there is more than one project like Sponge. Every projects will have positive and negative points and the users will be able to chose what project is best for them. I think we have to make effort to develop Sponge, not to blast other projects like Husk. And if other projects can learn from other projects, this is a good news.

It is the same idea for plugins. I am the developer of a protection cuboid plugin: Factoid. I have not declared the war to GriefPrevention, WorldGuard or any others. It is to server owners to decide what plugin is the best for his server. This is the same reflection for Sponge, Husk and every other projects.

2 Likes

You’re honestly telling me that no part of your source is Mojang-free.

No part of our source contains Mojang code.

Then explain to me why releasing all or part of your source is not viable. That’s what we’re dying to know.

Edit: Although I really do appreciate the time you’ve taken to speak with me, actions speak louder than words.

1 Like

We employ a technology called libnative which is a bytecode manipulation and instrumentation library for Minecraft that we developed internally. We currently have libnative licensed out (for money) to other individuals as part of our completely proprietary NSEngine suite. Huskd is very tightly coupled with libnative. @brenhein is working very hard to decouple libnative from Husk, and until then we will not release either source of binaries because it contains proprietary libnative code. If we were to release anyway, we would be breaking the agreements we have with our licensees.

5 Likes

Thank you! Now I have something. I look forward to seeing it when it comes together.

1 Like

Guys/Gals,

He is correct. Let the ‘market’ determine the best solution.
Do I use Apple products? - no but I am glad they are around (since I can smirk when they get egg on their faces after touting how ‘great’ their products are…) :wink:

3 Likes

Am I the only one who is completely confused now?
Sponge, Husk, granite, … . Are we going to make a standard or not? Because running API’s on top of api’s to get support here and their, isn’t going to help the minecraft community to run servers. As a plugin developer I don’t know anymore.

Also all these posts/advertisement on the Sponge forums are working on my nervs. Can everyone not make their own forum?

3 Likes

Thank you this was very clarifying. I still believe Sponge is better than Husk though, no offense.

It’s really hard to say which is better until there are bits that can be installed and kicked around. :smile:

It’s not hard to tell.
Quality, does not only depend on performance.

Very true, but in the end isn’t that the only thing that developers and server owners will care about? What has the best plugin to minecraft interface and what runs the best?

3 Likes

Very true as well. :wink:

12 Likes

Don’t worry, I’m sure there will be a Vault-sort-of-thing for all those API’s.

I wouldn’t consider it an issue. It’s not like we didn’t have multiple APIs to use before they were all DMCA’d

As far as I can recall, Granite, ArrowProject (discontinued), Husk, Sponge, are all going to be seperate APIs. They don’t run on top of one another, but potentially could run along-side one another. It seems like just a more flexible instance of when we had Bukkit, Cauldron, Canary, Spigot, etc, except they couldn’t run along-side one another.

I can’t see Husk interfering with Sponge at all. It’s presence on the forums isn’t even necessarily negative short of the troll who was spouting false information.

2 Likes

With Husk, you’re not locked into any one API. You can choose any available you want and run it along side Husk.

I wonder though (And genuinly I’m interested in a general answer)
Does the “competition is healthy” argument apply to open source? Especially in a market where people are looking for a general solution to a problem, not a specialized one?

5 Likes

Sponge works on top of the Forge API. Thus, an API over an API.

1 Like

If you had read the Google doc, there is also plans to implement Sponge atop Glowstone as well, making Sponge platform-agnostic.

1 Like