I think Sponge needs a scripting language

The argument that having an official version would cut variety.
The argument that making it something different from a normal plugin would make it more work to maintain and would create a mess.

Nope. My solution is to do nothing. The community will come in and create plugins if there is aneed for them. If there really is interest in such a plugin (which there is), a bunch of plugins will pop up, and the better plugins will become popular. That way, they can compete and learn from eachother’s mistakes. And the end-product will be better for it. If you create one plugin and say it’s “The official plugin”, it’ll take a lot of the motivation to look for something else or make something else. Also, it’d put extra strain on the dev team. Also, what I don’t like about the way you’ve been putting it is that you seem to think it needs to have some kind of special status and shouldn’t use the API everybody else uses. What’s the sense behind that?

2 Likes

I don’t really think it’s more than a plugin. It’s additional functionality, just like all other plugins.

I agree with the fact that some scripting language really could be useful. However, there’s absolutely no reason to couple it with Sponge itself.

Indeed, Sponge’s goal is to be modular, and plugin should use features bridged by Sponge, which should be ideally everything that could be possible on a Minecraft server.

Moreover, what if some devs want to execute some python and others want JS, or even Skript? Which to choose, “officially”? These should simply be separate plugins. This doesn’t mean they won’t be powerful.

Maybe you have the motivation to create an API for Minecraft servers based on a scripting language and I’d really like you to tell me about it! :smiley:
But this would have nothing to see with Sponge.

2 Likes

Another potential plus is that a Sponge plugin can run on a client. From my understanding Spigot/Bukkit/Cauldron/Whatever will not be able to do that.

In general, though, Sponge will be a tool. Some will find it useful, others not. The tool should be selected based on the job at hand. I have no doubt there will be aspects to Spigot that will make it more desirable than Sponge.

I’ve seen bukkit plugins that add, javascript, clojure, scala, ruby, groovy, as well as bespoke languages such as methodscript, skript, craftscript.

And there are probably a lot more that I’ve missed.

If forge mods can add computercraft into minecraft, there is absolutely no reason why a plugin can’t implement a scripting language for sponge, and expose the sponge api through it.

If anyone manages to get some working I would be tempted to code some just for the language experience.