I want to create a plugin

Whats the best program to create plugins for the future sponge?

I suggest you use Eclipse, it’s an easy to use IDE.

Before starting with Sponge, I suggest you look at how Bukkit plugins are made.

Videos like this should help:

Eclipse is hands down my favorite.

It’s a matter of preference, but any IDE that supports java, or if you want, don’t even need a IDE, can use any text editor and compile it somehow else. As far as ease goes, I think Eclipse may be easiest to pickup. I prefer IntelliJ personally. Lot of people prefer NetBeans (which those 3 seem to be the most popular, not gonna list any others)

Bukkit plugins will need a server to test and debug them.

Truth, although not the best time to be trying to set one up, unfortunately XD Despite having issues getting a copy of CraftBukkit or Spigot to run a server with, a tutorial with how to set up a server to test with can be found here (I’m just in the mood to post all the links, I guess). Obtaining a server jar at the moment may be a bit annoying, but I think you can get them from Spigot, and using their Patcher to update it to recent versions.

Or if you wanted, you could buy a server from a host for a cheap price. They should have the latest Bukkit releases available on their panel.

Very subtle, Joseph XD Are panels still allowed to distribute Bukkit? I think my panel had it removed after the DMCA takedown.

It’s still on the MCPH panel, I have not heard of any DMCA issues as of yet (with us).

But maybe soon, who knows.

I’d guess you’d need a private repository of Bukkit jars by now. I can’t even get MineOS’s web panel to download Bukkit, despite it still being on the list.

I kind of have a repo of most versions since 1.6.4 saved in my pc… ._. just pointing it out. Also 1.7.0 craftbukkit. I’m not sure if I’m allowed to give it to others, but I have it. :D

Sponge if fairly different from Bukkit. I quess you just have to wait till Sponge comes out and alot of tutorials are going to appear on YouTube.

I guess you can look at this one as well.

Supposed to be a good demonstration although this isn’t so much.

I think you have the answerd :sunny:

Cant start yet.

You can… but there are tons of things in the API that are not finalized.

While that is true, it is very easy to create a local test server.

If I may jump in, yes, I would like to see a “Hello world” plugin as an example that I can build from. For example:

package a;
imports b.*;
public class c extends d;
{
    public void e (f: g) 
    {
        h hello = new h();
        hello.i = "Hello Sponge!";
        return;
    }   
    public void yada();
    public void yada();
    public void yada();
}

What does the API expect for a, b, c, d…?