I'm bad at this. Help me please

I host a small server just for my friends, which used to run CraftBukkit for one purpose only, which was WorldEdit. After Bukkit died, I switched it to vanilla so we could do the 1.8 content, but we’re really missing WorldEdit at this point. The problem is that I have close to zero tech skills and the only way I got this far was because everything used to be fairly easy to find.

So basically, what I’m hoping for is that one of you will take pity on me and explain the easiest way for me to get WorldEdit back on my server. I’ve been reading about all this and I just get more and more confused. We prefer the mostly-vanilla experience (I tried Feed the Beast once and it terrified me), and I have the server on nfoservers because uh… I wouldn’t know how to run one on my own. The world’s already been converted to 1.8 so I can’t really use old versions of anything.

So far it seems that Sponge will be able to do what I need, but it needs Forge. But I don’t know and can’t figure out if Forge will change things away from vanilla without me telling it to, or if it even can be installed on a server that I don’t host myself. I realize that none of this is available right away, but I just want to be ready when it all does so I can pacify the people on my server who are whining that they can’t finish their projects. I wish I could make them do all the research for me, but so far, no luck. Thanks in advance for any advice you can give me!

Basically: You don’t right now sponge isn’t really for a public release

Just wait till tomorrow, spigot will be out for 1.8, can’t guarantee it will work with worldedit too well right now though.

1 Like

Come on man lol.

[quote=“BitByte, post:3, topic:4834”]
Just wait till tomorrow, spigot will be out for 1.8
[/quote] You mean a fuctioning 1.8 server jar with blocks and everything? Tomorrow, as in the day after thanksgiving?

From what I’ve read on twitter, that seems to be the case.

As far as I’ve seen with my server, Spigot’s 1.8 build is functioning well and supports the new Minecraft blocks and such, save for some issues with command blocks for reasons I haven’t sorted out yet. Mostly supports the plugins from the previous version, short of one major library that Spigot changed, and for those conflicts with some of the most popular plugins, they also have temp builds of those plugins on their Jenkins server until the PRs can be processed by the respective developers.

The only hitch is that you’ll need to do some work to get the server jar as it isn’t available pre-compiled, but Ill let you sort that out.

And @Anifail, if you don’t need Forge, then perhaps using the Spigot or CraftBukkit server would work if you could sort out where to get a jar. Once you get that, you only need the script to start the server, and it’s pretty much done. Sponge likely isn’t nearly ready for a functional server build yet.

I have

• Spigot 1.7.X + 1.8.X
  • Bukkit 1.7.10 R0.2
    I think I have that bukkit version maybe 1.7.2, but I’m at school until 3 pm EST… I’ll check when I’m home

As @OffLuffy said, there is a possibility that you could use Spigot. You would have to use 1.7.10 or 1.8 as a beta though although there was a plugin that worked with 1.7.10 Spigot which used some ugly protocol hacks to enable the server to run largely 1.8 with 1.7.10 plugins largely working - I do remember that the creator said that it would be removed after 1.8 was released so it may take a long time to dig up.

It’s called Carbon, it’s no longer in-dev but it should still be easily accessible.

Such very much 2014 necro?

1 Like

@TBotV63 Sorry, just realised :confounded:.