Implementation and Development Staff - 17 December, 2014

Awesome. GO SPONGE!

P.S. First.

1 Like

Actually @DarkArcana was first (see “This topic is now pinned” (trollface) )

On topic: Thanks for the update @DarkArcana :slight_smile:

3 Likes

I’ll second this, and also reassure any contributors-to-be that your text doesn’t have to be word-perfect rst. Editorial staff can clean stuff up and add links and whatnot as needed. If you’re a developer, and you can explain the Sponge API, then SpongeDocs needs Your Help. Take a look at the pages on Git, and maybe the latest Grand Scheme (issue #12), and go from there.

PS. My hands are tied on this, or I’d leak the “specific address”. I can’t see it doing any harm, even if it’s imperfect. It looks better than the Git pages, anyway…

2 Likes

Excellent. I’m excited to use and help in any way I can and see fit.

Awesome, we are getting closer to an implantation. Can’t wait. (I can)

Keep up the great work! Once there’s a donate button, I might have to give you guys a few :wink:

I’m a developer and I’d love to help out. The only thing that is holding me back is that there is no gauge of what you need in order to be anyway useful. There isn’t even a list that says “Experience with x, y and z would be good”. Not just in a general “Have you done programming work on minecraft before”. More like: “Knowing generics is really, really important stuff for an api and you need to know how to use it properly if you want to apply”. That kind of information, from my point of view, a developer who has never really worked with bukkit before, was not and has not been available.

Outside of that it’s great to see the good work being upheld. Nice job guys :wink:

2 Likes

Funny how I already knew this :stuck_out_tongue:. But its a motivation to start trying to help again.

If I want to help develop, what knowledge do I need besides Java programming? I’m interested in helping, but I don’t know if I know everything I need to to actually be helpful instead of a liablity.

Both of you, just make PRs. We’re willing to accept them so long as they add useful things and are greater than, say, 20 lines long(if it’s anything smaller, talk about it in IRC). We’ll make sure to try to prod you in the right direction, but any major work you do in a PR saves us work. :slight_smile:

Well, if that’s how you guys want to do it, sure. Seems like a far better idea than the aforementioned queueing of applicants.

Upon the arrival of the finalized Sponge implementation (at least the first release), I am going to be the happiest camper there ever was :stuck_out_tongue:.

I’m with that; I’ll donate happily. It’s about all I can do, as a non developer. If I can help out by doing great graphics for plugins etc, just call on me, I’ll do it for free. :smile:

docs.spongepowered.org

Do I win a cookie?

4 Likes

I got the impression that wasn’t the final version… Actually, I found that when the wiki sub-domain was changed to redirect there, which was a few days ago.

We hope you like what you see, and that it all works properly.
SpongeDocs are in an incomplete state, and some worried that this would reflect badly on the project.
It’s not the final version, but will there ever be one? Here’s a quote from our current plan:

As Sponge is still in a state of flux, a shortfall of dev docs is to be expected. Until release of Sponge mod, there are sure to be voids in many subjects. Nevertheless, SpongeDocs is a living document, always subject to edit. So it’s never going to be perfect, just beaten into shape as needs demand.

It’s a community project, and the community can really help here. We need people to read (and proofread), double check, spot bugs and errors, and make useful Pull Requests for the Docs and the projects. If you see a gap you think you can fill, step up and make your ideas known, one and all.

1 Like

I understand the condition in which sponge is: constant evolution. I thought that the graphical interface wasn’t the final version. It doesn’t matter anyway, it looks simple and efficient. About your last paragraph, I’ll be reading the docs and, despite not being an English native speaker, I’ll also be careful not to overlook any error or bug and report it (if) when I find it.

Keep up the good work :slight_smile:

EDIT:

How can we submit our opinions? I’ve never understood very well how GitHub works :blush:
Can we commit changes or should we just contact you via PM or IRC?
Thanks

The preferred method for submitting changes for all the Sponge projects is by Pull Request on GitHub. You can also comment on issues, PRs and commits on Git. However, if that is difficult for you, I’ll also accept suggestions via Forum PM or IRC (as long as I don’t get swamped in them). I hope that helps.

BTW, the Graphical Interface is the Sphinx theme on Read-the-Docs. Feedback on the theme is also welcome.

Yap, that’s it. Searched a bit and I’m beginning to understand the logics of GitHub I think. I’m assembling everything I can to make a PR when ready. Thanks :slight_smile:

2 Likes