Is forge bad? Is spigot here to stay and will Sponge and Spigot co-exist?

Forge is by no means a bad API. (It’s not really an API at all) It just allows modders to do some really bad things.
Forge is designed to give developers a lot of raw access to the game. As a result it CAN be bad. Forge by itself is actually very powerful and runs really fast.

I completely agree with this. In my current development of FoxGuard I have been able to do a lot more than I would have been able to with the bukkit API.

3 Likes

Its my opinion that Sponge is the best thing to happen to the server community. I think people are just afraid of a little change. Its my prediction that once Sponge is fully released, spigot will fade away.

3 Likes

That is probably true, as any advantage that Spigot had over Sponge is now being leveled.
Some of these things are

• BungeeCord
  • Timings
  • Performance Optimizations

So as Sponge supercedes Spigot, Spigot will start to slowly fade.
The key selling point is the native mod compatibility.

2 Likes

Afaik Forge doesn’t have Bungee support but SpongeForge (Forge + Sponge) has. However you need to manually patch Bungee and (if you want to run it) Spigot too. The corresponding PRs to add native support to bungee are still waiting to get merged :frowning:

1 Like

Yeah I know… :frowning:

I’m sure they’ll go through eventually.

I’ll go throw extra support at it if I have to.

They are either lazy to port plugins to sponge, or their code is garbage (or maybe both). No offence to pore devs, but i dont see a single reason to create this bridge. Developers can either update the plugin, or let their plugins die.

This might be true, i personally dont know, but im pretty sure most of these people, who are complaining about performace, are overusing reflection to access nms stuff or to bypass bukkit’s nms package versioning and much more dirty things you can do in during programming with high level language such as java.

3 Likes

Thanks for the information everyone! This really is an active and great community. Posting this only 3 hours ago and this many replies is amazing! Thanks

1 Like

No that will absolutely, 100%, no-question-about-it, utterly assuredly, cross-anyone’s-heart-you-care-to-name-and-hope-to-die, never happen.

Under no circumstances will that ever happen is what I’m getting at.

Just… no.

10 Likes

I can just +1 mumfrey here. This won’t ever happen.
Way to easy to send malicious code etc.

1-UP x 1000 + 9001

What I meant was that it would work like the resourcepacks. Posting the necessary mod links compatible with your server. Not having you download straight from the server and having your choice whether to do it to join or not. You probably assumed that’s what I meant but if not please resopnd. Thanks

No, the server will never delegate this in any way, no matter how circuitous. It’s code, and server-specified sources of any kind cannot be trusted by the client for that. The reasons are manifold and have been discussed at length in other threads, so I won’t reiterate them here, but suffice to say that this too has been absolutely flogged until the horse is so dead that it’s not really recognisable as a horse any longer.

2 Likes

Ok thanks. I never caught any of those threads so I decided to just make one and include the question. Thanks for the information. It was highly appreciated.

1 Like

Be careful around @mumfrey. He’s armed with an electric egg-beater. You don’t want to know what one can do with an electric egg beater…

4 Likes

More terrifying is that he has likely made it FLARD-powered

On-topic tho, i never liked how little bukkit could actually do compared to Forge and i’m quite annoyed that the community can’t let bukkit just die and move on to 1.8.8

3 Likes

WHAT IS FLARD?

I DO NOT KNOW OF THIS FLARD YOU SPEAK OF…

SOMEONE PLEASE EXPLAIN.

I AM SO LOST.

I really am…

1 Like

To address your point, and keep on-topic, I have resorted to Bardic:

Forge of FLARD

Sponge must co-exist peacefully
Whilst Spigot endures in the field
It’ll never supplant it completely
Until the old wounds have been healed

Sponge has emergent properties
Magnified by Forge’s install
It has the capacity to properly
Make FLARD for one and for all

(written whilst cooking a Chiko Roll)

6 Likes

You sir, need to become president of the world.

1 Like

Just locking this before this turns into a flamewar.

3 Likes