Is there anyone else using Elementary? (Linux) | Rather an OS talk now

I’m dual-booting with Win8 *shudder* and Elementary.

Using Ubuntu. I’ve tried innumberable distributions and can’t bring myself to submit from Debian and Ubuntu. Plus, I primarily work with Ubuntu systems so the familiarity factor is in play.

Windows 7 and Zorin. I usually use Windows OS, but I feel Windows 7 might be the last one I’ll use.

I put Zorin on an old laptop that could barely run its native OS(Win vista), and it works great. Just had a few driver issues with the wireless and Graphics, but all is good now. Laptop is almost fried, but its been putting up a good fight this whole time.

I’ve been using Elementary for the past 8 months.The only really annoying thing about it is the outdated packages from the Ubuntu 12.04 base. I’ve had to add at least 5 PPAs for different tools that have outdated versions in 12.04 main repository. Besides that, it’s been great.

I dual boot Windows 7/Mint 17

But I a spare laptop that I use just to play around it where there updates.
Right now I have on there: Debian, Ubuntu, Fedora, Mint, CentOS, openSUSE and Slackware.

Haven’t tried Elementary.
Hmm, this looks a lot like OS X, maybe I’ll install this in a white prodigy build and nickname it iNot
Someone think of a name because that was horrible :cry:

My main development box is gentoo+openbox, well my gaming desktop is win7/gentoo+openbox

i prefer to stay away from osx looking distros

I used elementary OS some months ago for the same reason as some people here - it looks like Mac OS.

laptop: windows XP and debian
Desktop: windows 7, Linux mint, and Kali linux.

linux is the best for gaming

Linux Mint 17 KDE here. Use a bunch of CentOS and Ubuntu servers for work. Have a few on Digital Ocean as well. I dual boot though, so I can play games in Windows 8.1.

Windows 7 here but i like to try linux distros and look what i can do with it :smile:

At the moment i am trying to get ChromeOS working on an old laptop but it wont work :frowning: it only works on my VM :stuck_out_tongue:

@DarkArcana I had a wubi install beside my win7 (ssd). I still prefer Windows 7 before 8 or 8.1 because I have tried them once and …, well, Windows 8 just destroyed everything :stuck_out_tongue: I had to recover my projects with a live cd to copy 'em over to my 2nd hdd.
@knagieknagger Really? You got chromeOS in a vm? I’ve tried that once, but it failed badly :smiley: I’ve also tried many distros, but elementary will ever be my favorite:

It is that I am just always working with Windows (school, at home) so it is a bit weird to go to Linux, but i got a lot of VM’s running various distro’s (Ubuntu 11.04 till 14.04, Elementary, Mint, Crunchbang, to name a few) but i like to run ChromOS on a laptop so i can use it like a laptop instead as my desktop (like my gaming laptop is atm) only problem is that ChromOS isn’t really compatible with a lot of ‘normal’ harware.

It took a lot of tries but it finally worked in a VM, but laptops… still wont work (I tried 3. IDE, SATAHDD and SSD) it always loops in “starting up - “repairing your system” - shutting down - starting up - etc.”

I use Windows 8. And I love it. The Metro UI is better than my desktop ever will be.

It’s easily organized. The app store you simply need to ignore. Win 8 apps aren’t worth it, and they never will be.

The only downside is that it can have some severe slowdowns every once in a while. I never had that problem on Ubuntu.
But I’m too used to how Windows works, and I would only switch to Linux when it supports the same games, and the same software Windows supports. And that will take a long while.

@kukelekuuk00 That reminds me of a vm, that I have :smile: It’s one of the 8.1 Preview Pro versions, that were available for testing (however, Microsoft decided to take them down, ) and I treated it like a normal one. I tried several keys from MS which where published to allow people to install the preview and register it for 90 days. No one worked, but after I restarted, it suddenly was a 8.1 Pro Preview which is getting updates from the real 8.1, thinking it’s a registered version… Strange things happening… But hey, I got a Windows 8.1 for free :smile:

@GameplayJDK Well, I get Windows OSes, Office and development software packages for free as a student. So there’s that. (Another reason I continue to use Windows, because free shit from Microsoft.)

I have made a custom linux setup for my laptop. I compiled everything by myself, but after a year of use it sucked because of the massive amount to update stuff. Then i switched to arch. I made a patch for the live system, and integrated my own installer for arch. Now almost all of my colleges / friends use arch to develop. This is very good for project setups, because the dependencies are all named the same(package names).

I tried to installed Arch 2 weeks ago and everything went well, except, that it still didn’t recognized itself as bootable… (it was a VM indeed)

I also had a hard time to get my installer working. This new UEFI shit makes everything more complicated. But I like a few features(I signed my linux kernel and can use saveboot now).

You do realize that all JetBrains IDEs (and Android Studio) are available as free plugins for IntelliJ IDEA (Ultimate-only for the paid ones), right?

I use CentOS for hosting on my servers
and well windows for my main pc :slight_smile: