Java savant required; services paid for in cash or cookies, as you prefer ^_^

Less a player and more an orchestrator of minecraft now, for a server I largely keep just for myself. My server was ‘live’ for about 8 months a few years ago with a regular log of about 30 players. Since then I’ve been paying to keep the site and server up but not doing much beyond world-building, and maintaining it as a private project.

I’m seeking someone to create the plugins I’m imagining, and particularly a tutor to teach me how to create them as well. I’ve a less-than-basic understanding of java - probably less than that even - but I’m somewhat aware of a number of its abilities and functions :slight_smile:

A long-term relationship would be preferred, especially if you’ve the time free to tutor, but for the smaller plugins, one-shot exchanges work fine too.

Rate wise I’m open for discussion on whether you’d like it hourly, per project, or some other form of payment. I’m lucky enough to have enough spare capital to have kept a server up for 3 years with no donations, so I don’t believe budget will be a problem, although I only envisage going into triple figures for my more convoluted ideas however, or for a progressive lesson plan :slight_smile:

First contact can be made via PM or an open post here, but generic chat will likely take place on Skype, Discord, or something similar.

This post is strictly for finding developers. Discussions that do not directly relate to finding developers, or discussions that discuss specifics are not to occur here. Furthermore, commissions are not to be discussed on the forum outside of this category.

I’m currently envisioning around a dozen or so plugins I’d like to see crafted - some quite small, some that I could probably cobble together the functionality of myself from existing plugins I’ve seen on here but for compactness I’d like to see built from the ground up. Emphasis on the see - no matter how many times I run against the wall of creating a basic plugin I always seem to stumble, so having someone screen-share or record for me so that every stage of the process can be soon would be great.

And again, as a segue from that, if you feel that you’d be a competent teacher, able to teach from pretty much a null-point of knowledge, feel free to drop me a message as well. Being guided in how to create a couple of the more basic plugins I seek (i.e. a plugin that ‘rolls’ a D66 and executes a command depending on the result) would I feel be good practice for me to understand the method, and even if I don’t fully grasp how it was achieved, there’d still be an end product that was viable for me to use :slight_smile:

As an addendum - although I’ve had a few people step forward to take on work, it’s been quite loosely defined, a situation I’d like to avoid repeating. If any of them wish to step forward again I’d welcome that, but the lack of certainty about those situations has meant that I’d appreciate having a few things established quickly, outlined below in a blocky format, although a run of prose / short conversation that covers it after you indicate your interest is fine :slight_smile:

Role: One-off developer  / tutor / repeat developer
 Rate: Whether you wish to be paid hourly, per plugin or session, request donations to  yourself or some charity.
       Or if you have such benevolence or interest in my ideas you'll work for free / the plugin being open-source and open to external donations.
 Time-frame: How long you envisage the project taking to complete. Some leeway will be given, but over-stepping this may impact the money paid.
       A schedule and rate agreement will be decided in our initial chats.

EDIT:
Slight reword and update. Returning in the hope that this attempt yields something tangible and educates me :slight_smile:

Just so you know, there’s a big difference between #plugins:plugin-requests and #server-discussion:devs-wanted - the former, where this post is, is for things that you don’t need in that tight of a timeframe and want done for free; the latter is for things that you want done right away and are willing to pay for (and is the only place you’re allowed to offer payment).

Programming is the process of detailedly explaining to the computer what you want it to do; therefore, the more details given, the better. Descriptions of the dozen plugins would be a good idea, and more information on how the scoreboard works. Make it so that nobody needs a follow-up request for more details.

As for teaching - do you mean no experience with Sponge, or no experience with Java? The difference is large, and you should not be learning them both at the same time. For the latter, the Oracle tutorials are wonderful; for the former, the Sponge docs are recommended. Try whichever one it is that you’re looking for before requesting a tutor; this way, nobody else needs to have free time overlapping yours.

3 Likes

Ah, apologies, the payment rule escaped my notice.
I’m in no rush for things but if that’s the only place to offer payment, should I delete and repost this? Or await a mod moving it?

You don’t have to offer payment if you don’t want to. I could probably do a few of them if you’d post more details.

Otherwise, you may as well make a new topic and flag this one to be deleted; there’s a formal format for paid development requests.

I imagine they’d be quite time consuming so it seemed right to offer something :slight_smile:

I’ll flag this, nose about more thoroughly and create a new topic, with a more detailed outline of them all, then tag you in it to peruse.

I’m hastening to get a few things done simultaneously. Seems to just be back-firing :v

Thanks again :slight_smile:

Well, if you give enough details on how you would like it to work then anyone could work on it in their spare time or even multiple people if someone posts their source on say a git repo (ie: github. gitlab, bitbucket, etc). We could all pitch in!

Ah, there is a good enough edit system here that deleting it wasn’t needed.
Superb :slight_smile:

As for details on the other plugins:

• The D66 roller - the results running commands.
  • A recipe plugin to restrict / blacklist recipes, ideally based on lore rather than just the generic item, stopping renaming and modification to match set criteria.
    *A lock / puzzle GUI that requires the items shown within a chest inventory to be clicked in a specific order, commands being able to be run on successful or failed attempts.
  • An NPC system which can run commands based on the meeting of set flags, mayhaps with pathing for the NPCs, various interact paths with stages that would either cover dialogue, the execution of a command, or their turning hostile.
  • The ability to ‘rent’ a cuboid region, which will expire after a set duration, but which can be renewed or extended. Limit the use of permissions and set flags within the areas.
  • A command manager, which allows the creation of groups that have access to specific commands, or the nodes for them, a blacklist for some commands, and the ability to have one command run a configurable set of commands, with the option of a delay between them.
  • A shared public inventory accessible via a command, where items can be listed for sale, with the option to blacklist specific meta-data strings. Permission control over the amount of listings, and for named items.

Largely these are things I’d see having a lot of desire in the general community, a couple are essentially established Spigot plugins, the puzzle GUI and roller are pretty much the only ones I’d envisage as being especially niche.

Edited OP with more information / to comply with the format.

Le bump for le update :slight_smile: