Let's consider - Auto Plugin Converter

I am abandoning this idea since Spigot is out. I do not have time for Sponge. No time for waiting, no time for learning a new API, I am a busyman. Now I can get back to my (Bukkit) track.

The concept is simple. An automated plugin converter that can port Bukkit plugin to Sponge.

I am currently considering a tool, that will read in Bukkit plugin source code and implement them correctly with sponge. Sponge and Bukkit may have similar ways of implementing listeners etc.
For instance this pinned post described some differences. But I believe Sponge will make their API very similar to Bukkit’s.

Obviously not all the code could be be converted. After the conversion process, those nonconvertible code will be marked in the output. So the main concept is, converting as many code as a machine can, then we can manually fix the others.

Ps: I wrote ~90 (now using ~20) plugins for my server, and I am the only one who manages it. Converting all of them by hand by myself will bring me a huge headache.

And at last let’s say we are ignoring NMS for now… NMS are useful sometimes. EXAMPLE

Sounds like a very useful tool, if you make it a lot will probably use.

I know I will.

I’m not thinking that this will be so easy…

5 Likes

I know, it’s probably easier to port them manually then making an ‘auto-porter’

3 Likes

It’s not really so much as that I don’t think it would be possible. There are plenty of clever, intelligent people who could pull it off.

My main concern would be the dependence it would create in some programmers, and the bugs it could create that the dependence makes programmers blind to.

1 Like

True Java beginners (Like myself) could not be able to code after it gets auto converted because we/they won’t understand Sponge’s API. They will probably make all the plugin’s they make in bukkit then convert.

This shouldn’t really be needed, once or if Pore ever becomes a thing. It acts as a mediator.

3 Likes

@FerusGrim @LordLambda
Actually my point was making a tool to save time for those developer/plugin porters. It does not have to be perfect, it’s just a tool that will do some mechanical replacement for grammar/format/plugin.yml etc…
Imagine before someone has to port a plugin, he has to convert plugin.yml into (annotation)Plugin(blah blah blah), this tool will do it.

Edit: I meant, doing exactly same things for each plugin doesn’t seem to be cool. This tool will minimize those boring process.

Well yea, but why is there a need to port it? With Pore, I can just drag, and drop the plugin in, and load it with pore. No converting at all. No need to convert plugin.yml, etc.

Architecturally, writing Pore as a “shim” layer, and implementing an autoconverter are going to run into the same challenges. Differences in the underlying object and event models between Sponge and Bukkit may make it very difficult to achieve a100% compatible implementation of Bukkit in Pore, and similar constraints will exist for any attempted autoconversion. We will have to see what the API looks like when the initial API is released later this month to gauge how possible this would be. For sure it is not going to be easy.

I considered this upon the inception of Sponge, but abandoned the idea the next day on the grounds that it would be extremely difficult to write, and even more difficult to perfect. Due to the nature of such a utility, it would need to create a near-perfect port of the plugin, which could take several months of work to achieve. I created Pore shortly before abandoning this idea, which I view as a much more intuitive solution. It’s much easier to translate each call on an individual basis inside a standard method than it is to parse the Java code, determine exactly what it wants to accomplish, and inject any necessary conversion code. The Sponge API isn’t a 1:1 copy of Bukkit, so you can’t just replace method calls. There’s a lot of structural rewriting that needs to be done to port existing code.

To go off-topic for a moment to address this concern: our goal at the moment is to focus our time on translating the most commonly used API features first, and the more obscure ones at a later time. This should speed up the first part of development considerably, since those features are also likely to be the most similar to their Bukkit counterparts. My mindset is that it’s better to have 80% of plugins 100% working than 100% of them 80% working.

1 Like

It does not have to be perfect…
Just let this tool save as much as it could for us, and then we are on our own.

Woosh, I will keep an eye or Pour (thank god I don’t have to rewrite 30 plugins) and I will glad to help out. :smile:

Ps: I just took a look at Lapis, it is cool.

So what you want is something that would turn this code:

public class DummyBukkitClass extends JavaPlugin {

@Override
     public void onEnable() {
        // Some Profound code can be found here
     }

@Override
    public void onDisable() {
        // The Profound code is now ending =(
    }

}

Into this code:

//TODO: Change Arguments to better suit your needs!
@Plugin(id = "PlguinID", name = "Human Friendly Name", version = "Version Number")
public class DummySpongeClass {

@SpongeEventHandler
    public void onEnable(ServerStartingEvent e) {
        // Some Profound code can be found here
    }

@SpongeEventHandler
    public void onDisable(ServerStoppingEvent e) {
        // The Profound code is now ending =(
    }

}

Is that what you are thinking of doing in a nut shell? If so, the changing method names and arguments is easy to do, however as you stated above, getting it “Perfectly ported” would be near impossible.

I was making this but put it aside till i can get the real API on my hands. If you would like, I can post the source. (it’s not pretty, but it’s something). Maybe it can give you ideas. =)

So, in my understanding is what you are trying to do, is to create a language translator (like a Coffeescript to Javascript compiler), but for Java code written for Bukkit, to Java code written for the Sponge API. Those things aren’t very different, right?

As you say, the concept is simple, but i think the implementation is very hard. You have to write a complete ‘compiler’ to analize your code, tokenize it, parse it, and finally translate it to Sponge code: packages, classes, fields and so further.
This is a lot of work, and i think that most plugins are already ported at the time you finish this tool. But on the other side, writing compilers, interpreters, translators etc. are generally good and challenging exercises, and is good practice.

3 Likes

If Pore can do 90%, that may be good enough for many plugins. Most of the incompatibilities will not be subtle and will immediately manifest themselves, I think.

3 Likes

Yes, and I know perfectly porting is near impossible, but this tool could try its best to save our time. The reason I am considering this tool is because I personally write “fun” modifications for my server.
Since Bukkit is dead, I have to move on. Complete rewrites seems to be yawn because there are ~14 plugins with ~3000 lines of code in total needs to be ported. I do not use FrameProtect, I do not use HorseProtect, I do not use FriendlyHoppers etc… I have my own implementation that will maximize performance with minimal code, and that’s why I have done so much on plugins.
Anyways if I am able to manage all of my code in Sponge API will be seemingly clean and tidy. :smile:

3 Likes

apologies if this counts as necroposting, i’m relatively new to the idea of being active on a forum

honestly i find there shouldn’t be a need for a porter because that adds a method of laziness to the process of conversion. lazy processes almost always have a problem, and like previously stated it’d probably take too long to finish this project where this lazy process becomes obsolete, unless you’d want to try and revive a dead bukkit plugin using the original source or something like that.

with the method of manually porting it over you can always do some clean up and some optimization of the code, which is always a good idea since its bound to show improvements. redoing your code line by line gives you a chance to re-read how you executed a certain action and select if you should leave it as-is or if you can make it better.

tl;dr i’d rather have clean, new and improved code than old, processed and potentially buggy code.

1 Like

I haven’t seen anyone really say “NECRO” more so on a topic like this. :wink:
I hope you become a regular with the sponge community! I look forward to seeing more from you :smiley:

While I agree that starting a plugin from scratch has it’s pros, it also has it’s cons. One pro is that it could be better optimized. One con would be that it takes too long to re-write (Why re-invent the wheel?). People are lazy, that’s a fact, people will want their favorite plugins as soon as sponge hits. I could see people using this, or The Pore project, to revive an old project to start off. Eventually things like this and Pore will loose usefulness and will no longer be needed; until that time comes I think they should still put forward the effort.

tl;dr I agree and disagree. Over time this will become less useful. But for now, they should still work on it. IMHO

This sounds like a really cool concept. I dont code so i cant really add to the discussion but i can deffinatly say that as a server owner, it will be great to not have to wait for plugin authors to port their plugins if this awesome idea works out…