Microsoft buying Mojang hoax?

Does this mean instead of Microsoft buying Mojang, Apple will instead? (Jk, jk)

The whole situation makes me think of this. :wink:
(The video is loaded with irony, given what became of Duke … )

I just heard about them buying Minecraft also. I don’t think they will buy Mojang itself if the deal goes through. There is lots of speculation, so we can’t take any of the news articles for facts.

They buyed Mojang, see here (German): http://www.playnation.de/spiele-news/minecraft/kauf-mojang-durch-microsoft-werde-am-montag-bestaetigt-id56399.html

Goodby Minecraft … :’(

Morph

I would guess that Minecraft as a program would benefit for the experience at Microsoft, but Im afraid that MS will ruin the whole community, specifically at the current state when the whole construct its already falling apart and new groups start to form.
But maybe it will turn out well and MS will get the API ready and the community can concentrate on great plugins.

According to Reuters, the deal will be announced tomorrow.

2 Likes

Yep. This might be the last day of non-MS Minecraft :frowning:

Microsoft will unveil a $2.5 billion deal to buy its owner on Monday, according to a source briefed on the matter.
http://www.reuters.com/article/2014/09/12/us-mojang-microsoft-idUSKBN0H72EV20140912?irpc=932

Do we really think MS will allow the modding community to stay the way it is? Will their focus be more on the mobile versions? Will they support iOS in any form? Or even Windows 7 for that matter? I have been burned already by MS and their Zune software. (which is now only limited web version on W7 and app for W8 and called Xbox Music) I feel like MS has great ideas, but poor execution. I also feel that they will close down things like private servers (the way we have them now) so THEY can make money on it. I am sure they know the risks of changing things, but I also know they have made a lot of mistakes the past year or so. (Xbox One and their film studio that doesn’t exist anymore)

@Azurago I think they won’t change much on other operating systems. One of Minecraft’s true strengths is the fact that it’s everywhere. They’ll keep it on all operating systems if they want to make the most money. They may however, update their PC version first, release exclusive content for Windows phone, change Mojang accounts into Microsoft accounts, make servers pay a percentage of revenue to Microsoft, and make many deals with other companies building sponsors.

They probably won’t change modding too directly, as that’s a huge aspect of Minecraft. However, a Windows 8 store version and Minecraft 2.0 if they make that probably won’t have modding capabilities as easily.

I have a feeling things will stay the same for now. But slowly, over the course of a year lets say, I think they will mess with it to make it theirs and profitable for them. Whether that is micro transactions, paying for updates or subscriptions. And at the same time phasing out private servers and expanding on realms. I don’t mind change, and I understand companies need to make money, but I like running a server, and running it my way, on my terms (Legally, ethically, In the spirit of the game and within the EULA of course). That may seem selfish, but isn’t that what MC was built around? A sandbox of unlimited possibilities? Build and do things the way I want to? Limited only by my creativity and the community to make dreams happen? I hope to God they understand this, because MS is a company built around ‘my way or the highway’ thinking. They have the money to do so.

Hopefully they don’t sellout to Microsoft, I have a feeling the game won’t feel the same as it currently does if they do.

It’s official. This thread for reference:

And here I came to be the barer of the news.
This could be an interesting turn of events.

So, tell me, do you still think “Mojang will let you continue to violate their copyright”? now that it’s Micro$ucks that own it?

After the sale finishes, it could take into 2015 to finish, I think it’d be a good idea for us to send them an email to find out how they view modding. They could license the server software to Spongepowered to use in distributions and actively help prevent problems better than Mojang itself. Giving Sponge the ability to distribute the server software (for free) is something that’s necessary for modding and if Microsoft supports it (which I think they will), they will probably come up with something.

Reports are saying that the deal closes the latter part of 2014, which isn’t that far away.

PEOPLE, on Monday, this week, Microsoft is official owner of Mojang AB, with their games, Minecraft, Scrolls, 0x10c and much more, Notch and 2 other Mojangstas left company, all others are still there.

No, Microsoft doesn’t own Mojang, yet. The deal has to close.

deal will be finished in december, but go to http://www.mojang.com and see for yourself

And Microsoft will not own nor can take any action with Mojang assets until the deal closes. Though unlikely Notch could change his mind. Same with Microsoft, though I have never seen them do something like that.

1 Like