Need help to hook with forge & pixelmon

Did that actually get fixed by closing it down? Now nobody from the outside can contribute and big servers can still decompile Pixelmon quite easily to fix things… seems rather counter intuitive
Wouldn’t it be smarter to instead release under a license like Mozilla Public License for example to have a legal defense against bigger servers doing that and force them to release their changes?

1 Like

I’m not sure that the source would be completely necessary, given the valid point made. However, JavaDocs would still be extremely useful.

Breaking a license agreement or ToS is by no means infringing on legal boundaries, unless what you’re doing to break the license agreement is in fact illegal.

It’s perfectly legal within the US and AFAIK all of Europe to decompile a project. What would be illegal is redistributing the binaries or decompiled source code without permission.

2 Likes

False. TOS is usually a binding legal agreement; by using the software you agree to it. Therefore, breaking it is illegal.

2 Likes

Sure, but unless you really piss off the developers I doubt they’d do much more than DMCA takedown whatever you put up

the only DMCA was issued to a cheat mod that wasn’t able to be disabled on servers and edited the jar to get around some blocking code to stop him, there’s not much we can do to stop private server stuff unless we find out about it (ie someone tries to sell it to someone and they report it to us)

A cheat mod? To do what, get OP pokemon without effort on certain servers?

Let’s actually just stop talking about this, it’s getting really off topic

What I meant to say it is not a crime. I suppose the distinction really matters here.

Actually: I’ll take back my previous comments and read up on the subject and report back. It seems like a couple google searches contradict each other.

Aaand found some credible information. In the US, breach of contract is a civil matter and not a criminal matter. I believe a similar distinction would exist in european countries.

1 Like