Online, Cross Server Currency - EULA Discussion

Staff Edit: I Ryantheleach offered to split this topic into 2 since I had pretty much hijacked codeHusky’s original idea. Please continue any discussions relating to EULA violations here. You can find the original topic here: Online, Cross Server Currency - #3

That’s why the whole sub economy thing works rather well. The regulators make sure everyone’s charging similar prices for similar things, making sure theres no crazy “infinite money” glitches. Plus, servers could allow their users to also buy the currency with actual, physical money, kind of adding to the currency’s actual calculable value.

Not if they don’t want to get blacklisted by Mojang they won’t. :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

As long as it’s obtainable by gameplay, that would be compliant.

Welp.

Here’s the relevant paragraph. It does in fact prove my post, but I must say I forgot this … other portion.

[quote=“Mojang’s Servers and Hosting EULA”]
Therefore, if you comply with and follow the Brand and Asset Usage Guidelines and Naming Guidelines above YOU MAY:

• use in-game currencies IF (i) they are “soft currencies” i.e. a currency earned or expended only through gameplay that has no real world value and that cannot be cashed out, used or transferred across free or paid servers, or converted into “credits”; and (ii) you don’t give the impression that it comes from or is associated with Mojang.[/quote]

Oh well. It was a good idea, though.

1 Like

Well, with that wording, technically you can’t even charge for keys.

Looks like people are gonna be charging for “money mines”.

Keys fall under the heading of cosmetic items, since EULA compliant purchasable ‘keys’ can only buy other cosmetic items.

1 Like

Most servers that actually use crates with keys allow users to both get keys via gameplay and purchase, with the same rewards for both.

The thing is, as long as what your server is doing is deemed “fair”, I doubt anyone at mojang would have an issue with it.

Besides maybe legal but they’re rood anyway.

How you get them isn’t important if the rewards are completely cosmetic. The point is that you can’t use real-world money to give yourself any sort of gameplay advantage. I imagine they explicitly said that you can’t transfer currencies to prevent the exact problems you were detailing up top, i.e. circumventing the EULA by paying for currency on an unblocked yet noncompliant server and using the currency on a much more popular server.

wat?

2 Likes

I mean, how does the agreement define a gameplay advantage?

uh… something that gives you an advantage in gameplay?
English definitions are :ok_hand:. Barring the hypothetical psychological damage of someone looking more badass than you, I would assume that ‘advantage’ is easy to define. A gameplay-affecting currency would definitely be something that gives you a gameplay advantage.

1 Like

I’m simply asking because really, the thing is, gameplay could be defined as simply just vanilla minecraft server gameplay rather than just gameplay in general. The vagueness of the term “gameplay” could allow for just a legal loophole allowing anyone to really do whatever they want as long as their server is, for instance, a minigame server.

As in they’re not legalese since Mojang can interpret it however they want.
And by dint of not saying “vanilla gameplay”, I would guess “gameplay” means “gameplay”.

2 Likes

Guess so. But yeah, again, if what you’re doing isn’t obviously a total “give us all your money” kind of thing, I doubt Mojang will have much of a problem with it. That’s really why those servers with crates giving gameplay items don’t go down.

No, it’s because Mojang only have limited time to do anything about it, and mostly do it based on complaints.

If /When they take action, they will do so for servers that they get a disproportionate amount of complaints for, and triage based on that, or servers with particularly high player counts that are clearly flaunting things against their rules and setting a bad example.

That’s still not reason to do something unethical, and clearly against their EULA however.

Every server that implements crates / gambling / game play advantage for cash/votes, should seriously think about the message they are sending to their players, who are potentially kids.

The message it sends is that this minecraft server wants your money or vote for items. A lot of mobile games are like that and plenty of kids aren’t like dying because of it. The fault lies at parents giving their children money to abuse on worthless stuff.

Paying for gameplay advantage, especially on survival servers, or giving stuff away in ‘drop parties’ every 20 minutes, gives the message that
“We don’t care about the work you put in to gain it for yourself”

giving away unobtainable cosmetics, is a way of saying thanks to the people who can help, because they are unobtainable elsewise, it doesn’t undermine other players sense of value.

" A lot of mobile games are like that "

It’s not your brand / game to make those decisions. It was Notches, then Mojangs, and now Microsofts.

I play hearthstone, I’m no stranger to actually liking some forms of pay to win games.
Minecraft is not one of them.

As for your original point, having a network of servers that agree and have similar economies and survival play? That could be cool. just for the love of Minecraft, don’t tie it to a real currency.

1 Like

Such a system would directly break the EULA.

[quote=“pie_flavor, post:6, topic:19104”][quote=“Mojang’s Commercial Use Guidelines”]

• use in-game currencies IF (i) they are “soft currencies” i.e. a currency earned or expended only through gameplay that has no real world value and that cannot be cashed out, used or transferred across free or paid servers, or converted into “credits”; and (ii) you don’t give the impression that it comes from or is associated with Mojang.
    [/quote][/quote]

99% of those mobile games are also complete shit, and knockoffs of each other. :stuck_out_tongue:

2 Likes

I wasn’t even talking about the quality, I was arguing the emotional appeal from earlier

That simple line makes stuff like mine Plex credits against the EULA.

Plus, really that line makes things just really confusing because if your in game currency was items and you had multiple servers and people had the same inventory on all servers, well that’s technically breaking EULA

By “server,” we mean a single connecting address or IP number.

Server networks can easily and obviously break the EULA even if everything else is compliant.