Orebfuscator?

The orefuscator (I probably spelled that wrong, sorry) was meant to stop most types of X-Raying and as far as I have seen was pretty effective. If the spigot devs working on sponge don’t decide to include something similar in the code I think there should at least be a plugin created for it.

why no one think a custom launcher?.

When starting the launcher, check if you have added files. And you’ve added them himself, deletes them. end.

Will be permitted only files you wants the founder.

(google translator)

A custom launcher would probably be too much, we wan’t these servers to be able to work on vanilla, so we have to rely on vanilla mechanics for most core stuff rather than relying on the user having a specific launcher or mod. That will annoy users very fast.

But the texture pack isn’t the only thing that is used for xraying. Most Xraying is done using a mod that doesn’t render blocks except ores blocks. No way to get around that by checking the texture pack.

if you know java, it’s easy to create it. I, my, I’ve customized.

I removed the buttons of “single player” and “multiplayer”. I put only enters the server.

Decompile the launcher 1.7.10 and create it.

http://mcp.ocean-labs.de/download.php?list.2

Very thing I hate of the people of the community of minecraft, and they are good only to complain and take advantage of the projects of others.

Nobody ever we put willingness to do “something”.

(google translator)

Don’t forget Sponge is a API

While I appreciate you sharing my post, the orignal poster never suggested Orebfuscator itself being a feature.

In Spigot they include Orebfuscator. While I doubt including it with the API is a good idea, we should come up with a better way of stopping xrayers. One that doesn’t have ores popping up and other things that aggerivate legitimate players.

He merely is suggesting finding a better method than Orebfuscator.

1 Like

Most likely IF they were to ever add features to Sponge they would not be added to the API itself but to the server implementation which does not exist.

I think orebfuscator is too heavyweight for many servers, who don’t really care if players can see through blocks, as long as they don’t mine up all the diamonds and other rare ores so that honest players who aren’t cheating can still find some. There are MUCH cheaper methods for protecting rare ores from cheaters than orebfuscator’s approach (ore loggers, ore/stone ratio monitors, and ore/time ratio monitors jump immediately to mind). There are many varieties of anti-x-ray plugins in use by servers throughout the community, which I think indicates there’s no one best methodology that will work for all servers.

For that reason, I think it shouldn’t be baked into the API or into the Sponge implementation. Plugin authors will provide the community of server owners a variety of approaches to choose from, and each server owner can get the flavor that’s best for his or her server. I think the same argument can be applied to anti-grief and anti-cheat as well - they’re very important to server owners, but there’s no one best solution that makes everyone happy.

1 Like

Have Sponge check for something(s) that is(/are) very specific to the client (I believe the checksum idea was mentioned before) and then if it doesn’t match have the server decline a connection?

That type of stuff is extremely annoying to users. They don’t wan’t to have to download a mod to play on their favorite semi-vanilla server with anti-xray

That’s not anywhere close to what Orebfuscator is at all.

Please look up Orebfuscator before leaving a comment.

In Spigot it was optional, I thought that was implied, haha.

For everyone that is saying “Oh just use checksums, that’ll fix it.” No, it won’t fix anything, if they’re modifying the base classes, what is to stop them from making it send a specific checksum to the server on connection?

Am I the only one around here who plays on a render distance high enough to see my chests turn to stone? lol

Spigot’s built-in orebfuscator has proven to be very lightweight on my server… I don’t notice its impact at all. Sometimes players will mention that an ore they just uncovered looks like stone for a short time but I don’t see it as a huge issue because it’s usually less than half a second, then the ore appears like normal.

In fact, spigot’s anti-xray has made the xray mod completely useless on my server. I downloaded an xray mod to test it for myself, and I found that it was actually more beneficial to simply use an xray texture pack. With spigot’s anti xray, only the exposed ores would appear in the xray mod, just like an xray texture pack. So the only xrayers I was catching were those who simply used the xray texture pack or who were stupid enough to install and use xray on a server with anti xray.

Of course there’s other methods-- I know that there are mods that allow you to save chunks from the server to the client, then open them in singleplayer, which can easily be exploited for extra diamonds and such (a bit of work, but people still do it…)

That being said, I think that a lightweight anti-xray builtin to sponge is a good idea. As Spigot has proven, orebfuscator is far more cost-efficient when integrated directly into the server .jar. It still has an impact on the server, though, which is why I think that something like this should be toggled off by default. However I think including anti-xray in the main sponge.jar will be extremely beneficial for server owners everywhere. If sponge becomes as big as bukkit, then it would mean that nearly every server comes equipped with a way to stop cheaters in their tracks built in. All they have to do is enable it. I would love to see this feature implemented in the future :yum:

1 Like

Hello,

I recently noticed that minecraft’s launcher knows wether you’re launching a modded client or not.

Would it be possible for Sponge to pull the client’s modstate and inform the server when a player is connecting with a modded client?

That would ease the harduous task of tracking down hacked client users, because an admin could already know which of the connected players are using vanilla vs modded clients, which would give general direction to which players might be using fraudulous clients. On stricter servers, admin could restrict connection to any other clients than vanilla.

Not very tech-savvy here, but I know that crashlogs registered by mojangs know wether or not your client is modded.

Bab

In fact that’s already happening. Forge knows whether your client is modded and also knows which mods are installed.

==

About the suggested solutions:
-Resourcepacks: This will (as already stated) only work for vanilla clients since xray-mods still detect the ores and just blend out all other blocks
-Transparency for all blocks: same problem with resourcepacks: xray mods just blend out all blocks that are not ores. Plus that would mean that all blocks would need to be rendered which would severely drop the clients’ framerates.
-Opaqueness for opaque blocks (like Mojang did): This is the best solution already practiced imo (at least that I know of). However, this still doesn’t affect xray mods.
-Ore loggers: If not automated, they require a lot of work from the server staff. If automated, they could potentially auto-kick (or at worst, auto-ban) players who are just being lucky.

==

My suggestion is the following: send the client other blocks than there actually are (not sure if an existing orebfuscator already does that). basically, the server knows there’s an iron ore, but it sends a stone block to the client anyway. When the client mines the “stnoe” block, it drops an iron ore (since that’s handled server-side). That way even xray-mods wouldn’t detect the block as an ore.
The downside of that would be that ores would appear like stone, so they’re not visible anymore. Unless you actually want that, that would be really annoying.

EDIT: I should really make less typos…

People use X-Ray for finding diamonds right? It’s simple to just run around and gather loads of iron and coal. Diamonds are normally found between Y: 0-16 (by default) so why not mask all ores at those levels? Wouldn’t that relieve server stress AND keep players happy? (Not getting irritated at “seeing” diamonds but mining iron)

X-Ray is also commonly used to find bases by looking for chests, furnaces etc. And these can appear at any level. So it’s not really a solution to limit the levels. (Disclaimer: I personally find that orebfuscator’s concept is terrible and it makes me extremely miserable when I’m on a server where I can’t determine a chest from a block of stone without getting nearer to it than 10 blocks ;))