Partnership with Granite: FAQ

why cant i put core mods in the mods folder

where can i find the first sponge download when it comes out

@kingalphamc you should make a thread asking your questions.

Welcome to the forums :smile:

Downloads will presumably be made available through the projects homepage as soon as there is a stable release.

You should also consider reading the FAQ or taking a peak at our excellent documentation. If you have any further questions, feel free to ask!

~ TBot

PS: What @DotDash said.

Downloads will likely be announced when they are ready, and you can put a core mod in the mods folder. That is how it works since Forge for Minecraft 1.5 (IIRC)

1 Like

oh i tought core mods where not going to work if you put them at the mods folder

Coremods and mods aren’t going to work at all with Granite, which is the Topic.
It’s independent of Forge and FML. Only Sponge Plugins should work with Granite.

Can we please try to stay on-topic here?

Just reminded me: What is happening with the Glowstone implementation?

3 Likes

I think this can be answered easily: It is not in active development any more :frowning: Their Github repository has not been updated for more than a month. Even if it is just a longer development break: The main part itself is not ready (no redstone, no mobs, no GM3,…) and they haven’t done much regarding to Sponge. As long as it cannot be used, it doesn’t make sense to promote it to the rank of an official implementation. In addition, Granite is able to offer the same thing: Server-side plugins but no unneeded client mod part. Consider that every implementation has its own classes. Plugins that need what Granite calls net.minecraft.server would not work with Glowstone’s net.glowstone classes as well as they woudn’t work with Sponge’s classes. This is the reason why multiple official implementations achieving similar goals should be avoided in my opinion: Plugin authors shouldn’t have to write more different editions of their plugins than absolutely needed.

2 Likes

As far as I know, a good and complete API would eliminate the need for a developer to make calls to net.minecraft.server because it includes methods and classes for everything. The SpongeAPI aims to have everything a plugin developer would ever need or want, so that it won’t matter how the API is implemented, a plugin will work the same on any implementation (Forge, Granite, Glowstone). Personally, I think having many options for implementations and the same stable API would be future proofing for any unforeseen situations.

3 Likes

An API that has everything everybody ever needs is totally unreachable. Myself, I’m not such a good developer so please tell me if I’m wrong, but for CraftBukkit, there are plugins like ProtocolLib that make additions to the built-in API. They are needed because Bukkit doesn’t want these more or less dirty workarounds. I’m not sure how Sponge treats that. Or very complex plugins. There will always be a developer who wants something nobody thought of. For example SpoutPlugin’s changes regarding to the chunk logic.

Over at Granite forums, there’s already a forum section for pure Granite plugins that use NMS. So I think it is not expected that there won’t be any of these any more.

2 Likes

I agree that it’s impossible to create an API that covers all use-cases. That’s also why we created that forum category; to separate plugins that could be used both on Sponge and Granite, and plugins that’d only work on Granite. We wanted the forum to appeal to both parts of the community :slight_smile:

Welcome to the sponge team granite folks! Look forward to seeing what you guys can do.

will granite plugins work on sponge
are there granite plugins
i have a question does sponge update when forge updates

There’s no such thing as a “Granite Plugin”
All plugins built on the Sponge API will work in any API implementation

Here’s a diagram

Some Plugin -----\                             /------> Granite
Another plugin ---|--------->SpongeAPI ------>|-------> Sponge (Forge mod)
Plugin X --------/                             \------> Implementation Z
4 Likes

thx simon816 :smile:

While the Forge implementation naturally will, Granite is not dependent on Forge (thus, the “Vanilla implementation”).

That’s half-true. If your plugin uses NMS code, then it will only work with Granite.

1 Like

1 part that takes quite a bit of time is deobfuscating for every new version (even minor).

The next part is applying patches (fixes, forge hooks).