Partnership with Granite: FAQ

Both use the same mappings so even nms plugins will work on both.

The only exception is client code. I’m not at the point to discuss this yet.

3 Likes

Pretty impressed with how the Sponge team has been going about creating/managing both tech/community. Glad to hear about the collaboration!

That question has nothing to do with partnering with Granite.

EDIT: And please do not ask the same question in different threads.

Ever since the collapse of bukkit, essentially the ultimate API for years, the plugin API space fell into anarchy. Individual programmers worked together to create new plugin APIs to maintain order. As a result, you had clans of programmers, each trying to have their plugin api stand out above the rest. The clans included husk, rainbow, sponge, granite and many more (obscure stuff like project emerald). Each one had different ideals, and continued to compete. This led to an epic that unfolds to this day with bitter hate, rivalries, competition, and also alliances such as the integration of sponhe and granite we see here. We truly live in a fiction about epic plugin API rivalries.

Not sure where the bitter hate and rivalries come from, SpongePowered never stated that it was to rival or that it hated other projects. Sure, competition will always exist, but as it was said in the past, competition brings progress which is really what the entire Minecraft community needs.

Some people not involved with the development of husk flamed sponge for being inferior

They must be very clever people indeed, to announce a project barely started and a long way from finished was inferior to other projects not completed also. Must be nice to have such great wisdom to share with us un-educated types.

Someone correct me if i’m wrong, but when the next-step channel was created and in the first days of sponge in the conversations with lex was it not decided that forge for 1.8 and possibly 1.7.10 make it so vanilla clients could connect and plugins could be used without the need for the client to install any mods or forge itself? Which partner that with the fact it was decided to make sponge as lean as could be in the first place and to make forge faster, it seems to render the goal of granite although interesting, rather pointless.

2 Likes

Why the hell should you use a server software with an overpowered client mod part if you do not need it? Because of its simplicity, I’m sure Granite can offer a better performance. In addition, Sponge cannot update immediatly because it relies on many other community parts. Server owners who don’t need client modding would have few good reasons to choose Sponge and not for example CanaryMod, especially in the first time when few plugins are available. Granite is not pointless.

You do realize that you can just not use the client stuff? And due to the nature of the technology(mixins) the performance will be the same if not very similar. Although updating is a valid point

2 Likes

Dido what discontented said. the client side exists but is optional, performance would be so close it probably wouldn’t matter. Updating is a valid point but if they worked on segmenting sponge into teams(no idea if they already do) and forge got new members(and possibly split this into teams as well) helping out. That point granted would still be there would but it would be minimized to the point it probably wouldn’t really matter.

As a bukkit groupy I’m really excited about the coming of sponge… The only thing is that we still don’t know what to expect in regards to releasedate… Not to be a pain (I guess a lot of people are), but my servers are slowely being deserted (luckely, not yet) because we can’t go on… Please Sponge overlords! Please release your awesome new shiny Sponge thing!

I can assure you that we’re working on getting the API and the implementations released.