Pc's with windows vs macs

Edit: Ninja’d, There’s your claim.

Fair enough, I get the tablet design. But for what it is, it does still work well on PCs. Its not broken, and honestly on my 29 inch TV, its very nice to have big mouse targets.

2 Likes

Personally I use Mac for any dev work/programming. Windows for everything else

I have no things against windows 8 after I used it. besides the “Metro” parts I liked it a lot more than windows 7.

I think this discussion is pointless, because this is a personal matter :stuck_out_tongue:.
The question could be: “What do you like the most banana’s or apples”, and we would have the same result ;).

(mabye not the same because we are no biological scientists, but you get my point)

3 Likes

I think it’s mostly as they said the tablet design. I task that took 2 clicks now takes 4. All the Modern UI stuff can be disabled but at that point you might as well stay on Windows 7. My opinion mainly is that it feels like a rushed product. It has great potential but it’s only half done. I suppose that’s where Windows 10 will come into play

This whole thread is up in layers 8,9 and 10 of the OSI model. The Political, Religious and Financial layers that is.

OSX is just another operating system. It is a derivative of BSD and NeXTstep. It is a Unix operating system at it’s core with a GUI on top.

Compatibility is primarily up to the application developers. If they choose to only develop for one operating system / architecture you can’t blame the OS directly. There are a number of factors here including penetration / deployed base and the extent that OS manufacturer does heavy lifting for the developers in the form of frameworks or API’s, etc. E.g. DirectX

While OSX is designed for ease of use, don’t equate that to being “simple”. I’d be interested in what lower level customizations you perceive cannot be done on OSX. Most functions can be controlled from the command line. E.g. defaults write com.apple.finder AppleShowAllFiles YES

Windows, Linux and OSX have usability and GUI transitions you can configure to your liking. Just turn off the animations if they are a distraction.

All Operating systems require maintenance. I’ve used most flavors of Unix/Linux and the various window managers, Windows 3.0 through current, OS/2, MacOS, OSX and on and on. OS X one of the easier one’s to maintain, mainly because Apply controls the driver base. You have a self contained ecosystem for almost all of the low level device control vs. some of the others with a broader support base with every fly by night company loading drivers and ad-ware to your machine. The trade off is you are locked into a pretty specific hardware base.

You can physically run OSX on off the shelf PC hardware, you just have to be selective about what parts you buy and understand that you are likely running afoul of the licensing agreement. Dependence Apple hardware is a legal limitation not a technological one. You can also run OSX in a virtual machine.

I’ve settled on OSX 10.9.5 Mavericks and virtual machines for Windows 7 Home Premium, Ubunto, OS X 10.7 and several flavors of Andriod. I also have a dedicated Windows 8.1 i5 clone and an AMD64 Debian box but the Mac is my main machine.

The Windows 8 UI (and XBOX) was a steep learning curve for me. Seems similar to the OSX Launchpad that I rarely use.

If you want to try OSX / Mac on the cheap look on e-bay for a late model Mackbook (White clamshell) with an Intel Processor. A lot of school districts liquidate them cheap after a couple years. Won’t be a heavy duty gaming/dev machine but you can get a feel for the OS. Or Build a Hackintosh and load Windows over OSX if you don’t like it.

You do pay a premium for apple hardware, not doubt about that. So if you are purchasing on price alone you will always use Bundled Windows or an open source *nix OS.

Just be aware going in that you are hearing peoples Political, Religions and Monetary biases related to a box of silicon
chips and some code.

7 Likes

How, exactly? I can still search anything by just starting to type and have the results pop right up, and if you take five minutes to actually organize the start menu, all your programs can be right there.

But it can be a point to hold against getting that OS. Also, it’s in the end simply a matter of preference, as you said.

I thought I liked windows 7 better then 8, until I tried to go back to 7…

Then I saw how much I really liked 8… although theres always room to improve, I love 8!

Here is my view on the whole Mac vs PC
(even though a mac really is a PC…)

Apple products in general sell for 2-3 times the price…
and starting at a higher price, means the resell value is 2-3 times as well…

besides getting some software with it, (granted they are decent, there are GREAT alternatives on a windows)
That is really all mac has going for it…

also it makes me laugh how people say Apple products last longer… why is it they buy a new IPhone every year? (I might be taking this to a more of apple vs microsoft level)

another thing I hear ALOT is Mac doesn’t get viruses…
A mac has less Virus developers just like it has less program developers… (less, not none…)
Just my 2 cents…
~Ant

You can actually set your windows 8 computer to go straight to the desktop on boot rather than the Metro UI.

Got that. Big thing about it is that it is proprietary and manufactured by Apple to only work on Apple devices. It’s far from your typical OS that can be run on any compatible architecture.

You can blame the OS when developers don’t develop for it simply so they don’t have to deal with the OS itself.

Having used a Mac for the past year I know how to do that. If you want me to list all the crap I hate about it, I don’t like the whole desktop system, it is ugly and inefficient for my work style. The main problem is that I am extremely limited if I ever want to install an alternate shell. I can install another desktop software on Linux and I can install another shell on Windows, OSX is not near as simple I’ve seen like two alternate shell programs for OSX.

I have to be selective… so I can’t run my awesome 8-core AMD processor? Thats not a tech limitation? Seems like a limitation to me.

I know that, and I take care of all of my computers very well, I check out updates and do them if needed, I backup files, I repair operating system files, I defrag any HDDs. The Mac just doesn’t seem to respond as well. I actually reboot my Mac more often than I have to reboot my PC due to slowness.

The learning curve really wasn’t that steep, and 3rd party programs to revert the shell are everywhere that is no excuse not use use 8

Yeah, and it is totally not worth it, it has been proven many times over custom-built PC’s are cheaper, more powerful and last longer than Mac hardware.

Really? Tell me, how does religion factor into this. Or politics? Monetary is a restriction on everyone, nobody likes to spend money, just the people who can, do. It tends to be people who are both too lazy to learn how to build a custom box and have the money that buy Macs in the first place. Also, about that religion I don’t know any members of the “I hate Macs” religion but I would very much like to join. Anyone know where they meet?

1 Like

Let’s look at this from the view of the “typical user who wants a computer that just works”, aka every mac user I have ever talked to.

So that explains why my brother doesn’t know how to do these things… (He refuses to touch the command line because it is “too complicated and unnecessary for the common user”)

Yeah, if you break things. Why do I have to tear apart my Ubuntu installation to get my desktop environment working properly? Because I thought installing LXDE, XFCE, and KDE all on top of vanilla Ubuntu would work fine, but I effectively installed three operating systems on top of one. That breaks things.

Most operating systems are built to handle themselves autonomously so the end user doesn’t have to spend time fixing things. Defrag and system updates are all automatic nowadays. Not to mention most prefabricated builds have driver updating software.

[sarcasm]Yep. And it took absolutely no time for you to learn how OSX works I’m sure. [/sarcasm]

So you pay 2 or 3 times as much for half or a third of the performance. I guess if you have money to burn, sure, why not.

Wasn’t referring to me specifically but I’ve heard that complaint more than once. Just trying to explain the other side of things. Me personally I just don’t care much for the tablet style start menu. I own a desktop. It was designed swiping not click and drag, but again easy to disable. Windows 10 is a bit more unified. Still a learning curve for some of the less tech savvy switching from XP or 7 but that’s not much of excuse to not like it.

Anyway you slice it though, this is an un-winnable battle. Everybody has their preference. this thread could go on for years if we let it.

As a technician I for one don’t have a preference. I’ve seen the good and bad in just about every Operating System of the past 15 years. It’s mainly which ways better for your needs.If your willing to throw ridiculous wads of cash for a Macbook so be it, but don’t think your superior because your laptop cost more than mine. Price does not reflect true value. If your intelligent enough to maintain a Linux OS awesome, but some would prefer something they can power up and go without hassle and there’s nothing wrong with that. If you support Windows because that’s what your comfortable with and it gets the job done good for you. But just because you tried OSX once and hated it after 2 minutes of use doesn’t mean it’s a bad OS. No matter your preference the end result is still the same, and you people are still going to be arguing over which is better. No two Operating Systems are treated the same therefore, none can be claimed superior over the other. THE END

2 Likes

You’re still stuck using it, though.

Not really, I can completely avoid it. I boot straight into my desktop, from there I can call any program with the command line…

2 Likes

You say that like having a full screen of tiles instead of a narrow list is a bad thing.

2 Likes

I don’t think you can say one is better than the other, both have things they do great and things they do terribly wrong but here’s my story so decide yourself:

As a graphic designer I was forced to use a Mac as some of the tools I use are Mac-only. And you know what, I liked it. It’s so easy to work with, unlike Windows sometimes. I also like the fact that it’s forked from BSD, makes developing code on it much easier (hey there Windows 8).

But then, the price, 2700$ US for a non-upgraded iMac, add taxes and transfer that in CAD that’s well over 3k for a computer that lasted me less than 8 months as it was no longer powerfull enough to allow me to work on bigger design projects, around 10 billion pixels, which is much more common than you think.

In the end, it cost me less than 1600$ to build me a powerful PC (quadruple core 3.5Ghz cpu, 4Gb graphic card, 16Gb of ram, 4Tb HD and a 128 Gb SSD) that will probably last me a good 6 years for half the price my Mac cost me.

So Mac? Never again. It has the power of a 500$ computer but charges you 6 times more for having a glowing apple on the back.

6 Likes