šŸ”‘ PermissionsEx v2.0 [API 5]

Yeah then I guess the only possible explanation is itā€™s done in the console by someone who has access to it

Access to the console only I have.

Iā€™m sorry! I figured it out. Command [Server] executed command setblock takes the mod MightyLoot. It remains to understand where the player items.

Ah I see, makes sense now. Couldnā€™t figure it out earlier since I donā€™t use that plugin nor knows what it does.

Hello all,

Iā€™ve just installed PermissionsEx on my Pixelmon server for Minecraft 1.8.9. I have a few problems, but think the solutions are probably easy, once I know the right places to look.

I was set up as an operator on the server before installing PermissionEx. Now I cannot use any commands except for a very short list. Unfortunately, I cannot create new groups or permissions (it says I donā€™t have permission to use that command).

Essentially, I am brand-new to this plugin and donā€™t know where to start. I donā€™t know what file to open, where to find it, or what to open it with. I also donā€™t know how to format it, what things must be typed, basically everything about the mod. So, I was wondering if there was a comprehensive guide somewhere that walks you through it as if you were a total noob (which I am). You know, start to finish, idiot-proof, that sort of thing.

Thanks in advance. From the little I understand, this seems like an amazing mod.

Best wishes,

Norm

This may help: [unsupported Guide] PEX quick command reference - #16 by An70ni0

Also keep in mind that PEX replaces the op system entirely ā€“ all permissions are handled within PEXā€™s system, and currently op registrations are not transferred over. That means initial configuration will have to be done through the console until a user can be given the appropriate permissions or added to a group with the appropriate permissions.

Hello again,

Thanks Inscrutable and ZML. I checked out that thread and it does help, but is there a more basic guide? Something that kind of explains everything from the beginning? For example, it might start with what ZML said about using the console to input the initial commands, creating a group (and what types/number of groups are helpful), then how to add permissions and so on. Some of that information is present in the listed guide, but I must admit that it is not necessarily intuitive. As is, I am muddling through as best I can. If I figure it out before receiving further help Iā€™ll post it here so nobody wastes their time.

Thanks again,

Norm

Hello again,

I seem to have gotten this working to my satisfaction. The provided guide is outdated in regards to Pixelmon itself, but otherwise works. Thanks for the help. If there is a more basic guide, can you still let me know? Iā€™m sure I missed something even though itā€™s working.

Thanks,

Norm

2 Likes

Yeah, thereā€™s not really a good step-by-step beginnersā€™ guide ā€“ thatā€™s something I need to write up.

2 Likes

My guide is not made for beginners, it is for server owners that have a decent grasp on how permissions worked in bukkit, i admit i need to do some cleanup on it but nothing should be outdated

1 Like

Iā€™ve prepared an initial version of a getting started guide that is hopefully useful for people. I would especially appreciate feedback from folks new to PEX ā€“ as the dev I can pretty easily become drawn deep enough into development that I lose perspective of what exactly is confusing for new users.

2 Likes

Nice. It is a pretty good guide to getting set up, and covers the basics pretty well.
I think thereā€™s one thing I think you need to clarify to users: group names are case sensitive. We messed up stuff on the SCS a few times and ended up with groups like Member, member, vip, VIP, etc. :wink: It might be good to be consistent with that in the guide.
ā€¦ and remember folks, never set the default groupā€™s default permission to false. The console is in that group :japanese_ogre:

Is there a way to modify Consoleā€™s permissions? Personally I donā€™t see the point in restricting Console - it should be a given that you only allow Console access to people of trust.
But still, I have seen a few instances of accidental locking-out of Console, is there an explanation as to how this can be prevented? As I donā€™t really quite get how you can add Console to a user group and manage its permissionsā€¦

One thing that would be worth mentioning is the usage of ā€˜wildcardsā€™ and restricting them. I have used worldedit (setting it to 1) to give Builders access to commands and restrict it some, say, worldedit.region.forest (setting it to -1).

What I have found recently (part of me knowing little of how to operate PEX), is that the ā€˜wildcardā€™ has to be placed before the restrictions on the permissions.json, otherwise, it overrides it - which might confuse new PEX users.

On another note, would be swell to mention how the prefix and suffix tags are shown, as if a user has ranks with multiple visible tags, it will only show one of them. Would be nice to see an option where you can choose to stack them or not, though, because otherwise, Iā€™d have to tweak nicknames or use additional mods like Chaton simply for the multiple rank tags.

Thanks to all who have left commentary so far. Iā€™ve incorporated your feedback and updated the document ā€“ if anything else is confusing thereā€™s no deadline on suggestions though!

@Rasgnarok Iā€™m not sure why that order would change anything ā€“ in theory permissions declarations are order-independent, and have priority as described in the tutorial (updated permission setting section) ā€“ Iā€™ll do some testing to make sure this is the case.

1 Like

Hmm just wondering if there is a plan to add temporary ranks and commands?

Like after a set time it will take that rank or command away from you. the bukkit pex used to have something like this

Yeah, thatā€™s on the feature list, and one of the last big features remaining to be implemented.

1 Like

What is the grade default on the first connection

This plugin is slowly breaking on me. I cannot add certain people to a group or even add permissions, change prefixes, change amounts of homes (EssentialCmds). On some people it works and some people it doesnā€™t. I have a new admin iā€™m trying to teach and he has the documentation right in front of him and half of the commands spit back ā€œTo many arguments!ā€.

I tried updating to see if that was the problem but I can see itā€™s not. Nothing works. Can there be a fix to this?

Thanks

Currently Running:
SpongeForge: 1347
Forge: 1890