Porting from Thermos[1.7.10] To SpongeForge[1.12.2]

Porting from Thermos[1.7.10] To SpongeForge[1.12.2]
A modpack i have a server on is doing a big upgrade from 1.7.10 to 1.12.2 but this will be a massive headache since it seems ill have to abandon ALL of my plugins including paid plugins.

Is there a method i can use to use the plugins that i have instead of attempting to find replacements for each and every plugin i currently use…

Or

Is there an alternative to SpongeForge i can use that supports plugins from spigot etc and 1.12.2?

Any help will be great!

Sorry, but there’s no way to run bukkit/spigot plugins on Sponge servers. It’s been tried, and it’s been more trouble than it’s worth (the project that attempted this was called Pore). The design differences between the two APIs are so stark that it’s really not a viable prospect.

Sponge was designed as a way to get past the limitations of trying to kludge the bukkit API into Forge, which is fraught with difficulties. If you really want plugins to work with Forge in a predictable way, then SpongeForge is your best bet. You will have to use new plugins if you do, although some will already be familiar - there are Sponge native versions of Luckperms, Griefprevention and WorldEdit, for a start.

i was hoping you wouldint confirm my research tbh XD Life of a server owner!

Kinda wish the site was easier to find plugins like bukkits site. Sponges structure seems to fall very far.

https://dev.bukkit.org/bukkit-plugins

This would be a great adopted structure in sponge.

I personally find it very similar. This is the official plugin site

2 Likes

If you say your plugin list, we can probably help you find ports or parallels.

i spent most of my night brousing what was available and this is my copy and paste list atm:

1.7.10 Thermos

1. AntiAura [AntiCheat] [AntiHack]
  2. ---------------------AutoMessage [Broadcasts]
  3. ---------------------ClearLagg [Lag Optimization]
  4. ---------------------Coloured Tags [Coloured TabList]
  5. ---------------------DiscordSRV [Minecraft Bridge Discord]
  6. ---------------------Enjin Donations [Get Sponge Version]
  7. ---------------------Essentials [Core of Commands]
  8. ---------------------GoreaRestrict [Item Ban]
  9. ---------------------GriefPrevention [Sponge Version]
  10. ---------------------LiteBans [Mute] [Kick] [Ban] [Warning]
  11. ---------------------Multiverse Core [Custom Worlds]
  12. ---------------------PermissionsEx [Permission System]
  13. ---------------------Prism [Log Everything]
  14. ProtocolLib
  15. ---------------------RandomTP [Random Teleport]
  16. ShopGUIPlus [GUI Store]
  17. ---------------------Vault [Money]
  18. ---------------------Votifier [Enables Votes]
  19. VoteRoulette [Vote Rewards]
  20. ---------------------WorldBorder [Sets Border] [PreGens]
  21. ---------------------World Edit [Edits World]
  22. ---------------------WorldGuard [Regions]

1.12.2 SpongeForge

1. AutoBroadcasterSpo [Broadcasts]
  2. Nucleus [Core of Commands] [Mute] [Kick] [Ban] [Warning] [Random Teleport] [Sets Border]
    [PreGens] [> Name and Lore <] {> Kits <}
  3. ClearMobs [Lag Optimization]
  4. TotalEconomy [Money]
  5. LuckyPerms [Permission System]
  6. MagiBridge [Minecraft Bridge Discord]
  7. MBDiscordLink [Minecraft Ranks Discord]
  8. ProjectWorlds [Custom Worlds]
  9. ProjectCore [ProjectWorlds Requirement]
  10. UltimateChat [Chat]
  11. WorldEdit [Edits World]
  12. UniverseGuard [Regions]
  13. GriefPrevention [Sponge Version]
  14. PlayerGlow
  15. Prism [Log Everything]
  16. Enjin Donations [Get Sponge Version]
  17. TabManager [Coloured TabList]
  18. PlaceHolderAPI [TabManager]
  19. StockBan [Item Ban]

These are my lists before and after. The times listed for sponge are the ones that actually loaded and iv yet to edit there configurations to see if they actually work work. Seems PEX-Sponge freezes the server on me so i have to use lukcyperms

Do i pick good replacements? On a side note i cant /plugins even oped is luckyperms or nucleus overruling this?

Well, /plugins isn’t the command to list the plugins. That’s a Bukkit command. I’d recommend reading the docs as they will help you out, but to save you this lookup specifically it’s /sponge plugins.

even with that command and op it says no permissions o-o i really need to dip into the configs soon lol So drained from my research the other night and the temperature in ireland X_X

Bukkit had both OP and permission systems, which was confusing. Sponge does not. Sponge simply has the permission service. The default implementation is the /op system - if you’re an op, you have all the permissions; if you aren’t, you don’t. Installing any permissions plugin, such as LuckPerms, won’t work in tandem with the OP system - it’ll replace it entirely. So you would need to give yourself the permission to use that command, which is documented in the Sponge Docs, and you’d probably do that by giving yourself an owner rank with every permission.

Thats really informatable, i appreciate you giving me the time :slight_smile: I tried using luckyperms before over PEX but there didint seem llike any obvious config like PEX is it all command based? or do i have to issue a command first and then i can configure it VIA notepadd++ after (I prefer this way)

Luckperms will let you import your old PEX config, if you really want, although it may be riddled with dead permissions from removed plugins. It defaults to the H2 storage system iirc, but you can change the storage type to ‘file’ if you want readable permissions files. Just check the Luckperms Wiki, it’s pretty extensive. You’ll need to at least begin by typing a few commands. I find a good place to start is to give myself the permission luckperms from console, as I can then go ahead and do everything else in-game, using tab-auto-completion and other tricks.

Also, I saw on your plugin wishlist that you had both GriefPrevention and UniverseGuard. I would be wary of using two protection plugins simultaneously, unless you’re sure they won’t overlap in problematic ways. The Sponge version of GriefPrevention is a tad more advanced than it’s bukkit namesake, with Town regions etc, so it may do what you want already.

Sometimes i wonder about myself lol HOW did i miss the YAML storage type… I overlooked that literally since its part of the database section lol Ill trry to set that up i prefer to have a .yml file i can edit manually!

Well i had GP and WG on 1.7.10. GP for players and WG for spawn etc so im assuming i can use GP and UG in 1.12.2 just the same but i see where your coming from i can disable goldshovel rightclicks no problem!