Proofreaders! Here is what you're waiting for!

There are Errors in our Translated Docs!

It has come to our attention lately that there are many errors present in the translated SpongeDocs. Most translations have some warnings when they are built, due to a variety of causes. Some of the typical problems include:

1. Page names have been translated in links.
  2. Internal link formatting has been broken, often by (1).
  3. Sphinx / ReST formatting has not been preserved.

Thankfully, the diligent and ever-useful @Minecrell has devised a system where errors in builds of the translated docs can be viewed. We hope that those of you interested in proofreading and correcting the SpongeDocs translations may make use of this feature to help remove these issues.

To view the current error log for a given language, you just need to go to the main page of the built translated docs, and replace index.html with build-log.txt.

For example (German), https://docs.spongepowered.org/stable/de/build-log.txt

We ask all our translators to try to preserve the important formatting of our Documentation, and please note that you can always visit http://www.sphinx-doc.org/en/master/rest.html for a primer on ReST.

We hope this assists in the refinement of our docs, and in the development and involvement of our community in the ongoing SpongeDocs saga. Anyone interested in assisting to update the documentation in the master (English) branch is also welcome to join in on GitHub.

7 Likes

This makes fixing translations a lot easier, thanks! I have already fixed all of the mistakes for the Dutch translations, most issues consisted of the concatenation of variables and the text after them.

1 Like

I’m not sure whether German remains a good example. Because I just fixed it or at least i tried.

1 Like

@Minecrell or @Inscrutable can we alter this logic a little bit and add a timestamp to the top of the file, so that we can check whether there was a build after our last attempt of fixing that list?

EDIT: Can we also configure the webserver to include a charset in the headers (at least for plain text)?
Like this:
Content-Type: text/plain?charset=UTF-8

1 Like

can we alter this logic a little bit and add a timestamp to the top of the file, so that we can check whether there was a build after our last attempt of fixing that list?

For now you could check the Last-Modified header returned by the server. Can you open an issue at GitHub - SpongePowered/sponge-docs-theme: Theme for the sponge documentation for adding the timestamp in the file?

EDIT: Can we also configure the webserver to include a charset in the headers (at least for plain text)?
Like this:
Content-Type: text/plain?charset=UTF-8

Done.

4 Likes

Done: Add timestamp to build-log.txt · Issue #23 · SpongePowered/sponge-docs-theme · GitHub

1 Like