[Solved] Server crashing when one of my players tries to login?

Not sure what this error means… Here it is:

[21:36:36] [Server thread/ERROR]: Encountered an unexpected exception
net.minecraft.util.ReportedException: Ticking entity
at net.minecraft.server.MinecraftServer.func_71190_q(MinecraftServer.java:710) ~[MinecraftServer.class:?]
at net.minecraft.server.dedicated.DedicatedServer.func_71190_q(DedicatedServer.java:364) ~[po.class:?]
at net.minecraft.server.MinecraftServer.func_71217_p(MinecraftServer.java:598) ~[MinecraftServer.class:?]
at net.minecraft.server.MinecraftServer.run(MinecraftServer.java:478) [MinecraftServer.class:?]
at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:745) [?:1.8.0_45]
Caused by: java.lang.NullPointerException: leashHolder
at org.spongepowered.api.event.impl.EntityUnleashEvent$Impl.(Unknown Source) ~[?:?]
at org.spongepowered.api.event.impl.EntityUnleashEvent$Factory.apply(Unknown Source) ~[?:?]
at org.spongepowered.api.event.impl.EntityUnleashEvent$Factory.apply(Unknown Source) ~[?:?]
at org.spongepowered.api.event.SpongeEventFactory.createEvent(SpongeEventFactory.java:235) ~[SpongeEventFactory.class:1.8-1446-2.1DEV-508+unknown-b508.git-unknown]
at org.spongepowered.api.event.SpongeEventFactory.createEntityUnleash(SpongeEventFactory.java:795) ~[SpongeEventFactory.class:1.8-1446-2.1DEV-508+unknown-b508.git-unknown]
at net.minecraft.entity.EntityLiving.callUnleashEvent(EntityLiving.java:106) ~[xn.class:?]
at net.minecraft.entity.EntityLiving.func_110160_i(EntityLiving.java:1013) ~[xn.class:?]
at net.minecraft.entity.EntityLiving.func_110159_bB(EntityLiving.java:1004) ~[xn.class:?]
at net.minecraft.entity.EntityCreature.func_110159_bB(SourceFile:75) ~[xu.class:?]
at net.minecraft.entity.EntityLiving.func_70071_h_(EntityLiving.java:233) ~[xn.class:?]
at net.minecraft.entity.passive.EntityHorse.func_70071_h_(EntityHorse.java:1034) ~[abt.class:?]
at net.minecraft.world.World.func_72866_a(World.java:98) ~[aqu.class:?]
at net.minecraft.world.WorldServer.func_72866_a(WorldServer.java:732) ~[qt.class:?]
at net.minecraft.world.World.func_72870_g(World.java:1850) ~[aqu.class:?]
at net.minecraft.world.World.func_72939_s(World.java:1679) ~[aqu.class:?]
at net.minecraft.world.WorldServer.func_72939_s(WorldServer.java:571) ~[qt.class:?]
at net.minecraft.server.MinecraftServer.func_71190_q(MinecraftServer.java:704) ~[MinecraftServer.class:?]
… 4 more

In Sponge’s global config, disable entity activation ranges.

What will this do?

Let minecraft handle activation ranges. This option allows you to tune the range of mobs to improve performance. It will fix it more than likely. Besides the default option for sponge is vanilla anyhow

Okay, well I disabled activation ranges in the global config, and it was working fine, but it just crashed again with the following error:

net.minecraft.util.ReportedException: Ticking entity
at net.minecraft.server.MinecraftServer.func_71190_q(MinecraftServer.java:710) ~[MinecraftServer.class:?]
at net.minecraft.server.dedicated.DedicatedServer.func_71190_q(DedicatedServer.java:364) ~[po.class:?]
at net.minecraft.server.MinecraftServer.func_71217_p(MinecraftServer.java:598) ~[MinecraftServer.class:?]
at net.minecraft.server.MinecraftServer.run(MinecraftServer.java:478) [MinecraftServer.class:?]
at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:745) [?:1.8.0_45]
Caused by: java.lang.NullPointerException: leashHolder
at org.spongepowered.api.event.impl.EntityUnleashEvent$Impl.(Unknown Source) ~[?:?]
at org.spongepowered.api.event.SpongeEventFactory.createEvent(SpongeEventFactory.java:236) ~[SpongeEventFactory.class:1.8-1487-2.1DEV-523+unknown-b523.git-unknown]
at org.spongepowered.api.event.SpongeEventFactory.createEntityUnleash(SpongeEventFactory.java:819) ~[SpongeEventFactory.class:1.8-1487-2.1DEV-523+unknown-b523.git-unknown]
at net.minecraft.entity.EntityLiving.callUnleashEvent(EntityLiving.java:106) ~[xn.class:?]
at net.minecraft.entity.EntityLiving.func_110160_i(EntityLiving.java:1013) ~[xn.class:?]
at net.minecraft.entity.EntityLiving.func_110159_bB(EntityLiving.java:1004) ~[xn.class:?]
at net.minecraft.entity.EntityCreature.func_110159_bB(SourceFile:75) ~[xu.class:?]
at net.minecraft.entity.EntityLiving.func_70071_h_(EntityLiving.java:233) ~[xn.class:?]
at net.minecraft.entity.passive.EntityHorse.func_70071_h_(EntityHorse.java:1034) ~[abt.class:?]
at net.minecraft.world.World.func_72866_a(World.java:98) ~[aqu.class:?]
at net.minecraft.world.WorldServer.func_72866_a(WorldServer.java:732) ~[qt.class:?]
at net.minecraft.world.World.func_72870_g(World.java:1850) ~[aqu.class:?]
at net.minecraft.world.World.func_72939_s(World.java:1679) ~[aqu.class:?]
at net.minecraft.world.WorldServer.func_72939_s(WorldServer.java:571) ~[qt.class:?]
at net.minecraft.server.MinecraftServer.func_71190_q(MinecraftServer.java:704) ~[MinecraftServer.class:?]
… 4 more

So since that’s the same error, I guess it wasn’t the activation range. Help maybe? @FerusGrim @simon816 @MoseMister

Sorry but im a plugin guy. I got no clue about maintaining SpongeMod

Looking thru the stack its a horse, im not sure what callUnleashEvent is .maybe taking it off a lead. /butcher 《radius》

Good call, I went through the forge config and found an option to remove erroring entities, and it removed the horse and lead. Thank you @Joe_Schmo2840! Somebody please close this.

No problem, sorry for the misdiagnoses at first, usually its activation range acting up. As far as closing, just put [Solved] in the title so people in the future can search for this error and learn from it.

1 Like

Okay, makes sense. And will do. Another quick question, should I re-enable the activation range? I use pixelmon, so there’s also an option for me to use it with pixelmon as well. Thoughts?

Edit: Also I see you’re a donor, where’s the link? I’d like to do so as well.

1 Like

You should be able to re-enable it. Refer to the global.conf Configuration Doc and also [Spoiler=This Description]
From Spigot:
entity-activation-range
Default: (animals: 32, monsters: 32, misc: 16)
Type: Integer
Description: Controls the range in blocks that entities will become “activated” - entities outside of this range will tick at a reduced rate to prevent server lag. When changed, these numbers can adversely affect gameplay, so edit with caution.
Lowering these values can give a major boost to performance, but at the cost of affecting gameplay behavior. Lowering these might impact item and monster farms, but should have little impact to normal behavior. [/Spoiler] for more info on what activation ranges do. You can see from these two examples that not only does Sponge handle modded entities, but it also has more types/categories of entities you can control!

1 Like

@soccer66 they have a Patreon page

Thanks! I’m now a stone donor as well :smile:

Edit: How do I get the tag? Haha I didn’t do it for the tag, but it looks pretty sexy…

The tag is manually added, and yea, do it for the cause not the credit.

3 Likes