Sponge alters world generation - bug or feature?

Yesterday I tried to run a new Sponge-based server based on version 1.10.2 (using sponge-forge 1.10.2-2254-5.2.0-BETA-2264). Everything worked except one tiny detail. On the world that I generated using seed that was provided by hand (5643637565697398741), I stepped on a single chunk that couldn’t be altered in any way - I was unable to destroy or place blocks on it.
So I started to look what’s wrong. Recreating the world didn’t fix it, Changing version from forge to sponge vanilla (1.10.2-5.2.0-BETA-385) also didn’t help, so the problem wasn’t forge.
After all I decided to try to run a server using vanilla Minecraft (the jar file that was automatically downloaded by sponge vanilla), and there was a surprise waiting for me: not only mentioned chunk was no longer frozen, but it also looked entirely different (there were dirt/grass blocks instead of stone). Just by a glimpse I could clearly tell the differences between the world generated by Sponge version and the one that was created by vanilla Minecraft. It’s visible that generated terrain is similar in both versions, but blocks are clearly different. I’m writing this post from work, so I’m unable to provide screenshots, video or coordinates for the broken chunk that I’m talking about for now, but I’ll do so in few hours when I’ll be home and when playing Minecraft wouldn’t be an excuse to be mean to me :).

So here comes the conclusion: I couldn’t find an information that vanilla sponge without any plugins alters world generation, so I think that it could be some kind of a bug - am I wrong? And yes, I am aware of this article: World Generation — Sponge 7.2.0 documentation but it doesn’t mention any alteration of a generated world (without any plugins of course) - is this a case?
Also even if the world generator is altered by Sponge, frozen chunks shouldn’t be there, so this clearly is a bug. Is it known to the community or should I post a github ticket on this?

Some information:

Minecraft version: 1.10.2
Sponge Forge version: 1.10.2-2254-5.2.0-BETA-2264
Sponge Vanilla version: 1.10.2-5.2.0-BETA-385
World seed: 5643637565697398741
Platform: Dockerized Debian 8 with java 8 (OpenJDK Runtime Environment (build 1.8.0_111-8u111-b14-2~bpo8+1-b14) OpenJDK 64-Bit Server VM (build 25.111-b14, mixed mode) ), host system: Ubuntu Server 16.10
Also tested on platform: Windows 8.1 with Oracle Java 8, with same effects
World regeneration steps:

1. Run server
  2. Stop server after configuration and world initialization
  3. Remove “world” directory
  4. Provide level seed in server.properties
  5. Start server and wait for world regeneration

As promised: block with coordinates -31 +220 is inside frozen chunk, it can’t be destroyed, also I cannot place any block on it.
Also I attach screenshots of what I’m talking about
Sponge one:
Vanilla one:

What is the biome up on that hill?

Thanks for your reply, it’s extreme hills.
I also verified that problem also occurs on Sponge 1.11.2 and 1.8.9

Because sponge does reorder the world generation slightly in the process of exposing it, it does happen that sometimes the particular noise values differ and its not really something to worry about too much. I’ll look into it a some point though just to make sure we are as close as we can be.

The frozen chunks on the other hand are something completely different and I have no idea.

Ok, so about frozen chunks: I’ll post an issue on GitHub, I assume that the best place for it will be the SpongeAPI, am I right?

Edit: issue posted: (issue to delete) Frozen chunk on map generated by Minecraft with Sponge API · Issue #1530 · SpongePowered/SpongeAPI · GitHub

No, the API just describes the plugin-server interface. Since it occurs on both versions, the correct place is SpongeCommon.

I filed it already :frowning: Should I place another one or maybe the developers will handle it themselves? I don’t want to make a mess in there.

If you move it yourself you will already be subscribed to the issue and be able to get replies. If we move it / remake it, you will need to reply and make sure you are subscribed.

Thanks, I’ve posted it in Sponge Common and edited and closed the original one. Now it’s https://github.com/SpongePowered/SpongeCommon/issues/1285.