Sponge Forge for Minecraft 1.13+?

It’s been almost a full year since sponge said they were “working on it”

Yet there not been any update.

Not only is Forge in a Stable Release for 1.14.x it’s also got stable releases for 1.15.x, and Experimental releases for 1.16 snapshots.

If you guys don’t catch up, you’re probably going to get left behind and forgotten.

As mentioned by your other comment, it is still in development and the sponge team have been working hard, shown by the API 8 branch.

As for “being forgotten” the majority of the people who use Sponge use it for control on there forge server. While a lot of mods have started to be ported to newer versions, the forge modding community still consider the version to mod on. Sponge knows this by stating that even after sponge 1.14 is released, Sponge 1.12.2 will still be updated as it is a LTS platform. So you will find a lot of servers still run 1.12.2 and will continue to run 1.12.2 until the forge community agree on a new version to mod on.

If you look back before 1.12.2 was the main modding platform, you would have seen a lot of minecraft servers on 1.7.10 as that that the agreed forge platform to mod on.

You also need to consider that huge projects like sponge will take a while to update if there code needs to change dramatically. Take a look at the Glowstone Project. They announced a 1.13 edition as soon as Spigot 1.13 was stable and to this date, they still haven’t updated. Based upon the 1.13 tasks for Glowstone, it looks like they arnt far in either.

Well it looks like the current new standard will be 1.15.2, all the modders in the official forge discords are saying not to bother updating 1.12 mods and to instead work on porting to 1.15.2

Looking at Curse, most mods that are 1.13+ are still not in full release yet, meaning that the target for mods is still 1.12.2 for the time being.

its not just mod developers that make the target forge version, its also the community. A lot of people rely on Sponge for permissions as well as some plugins such as nucleus.

Im not staff for Sponge, but I have been in the community since the start. Im not worried about Sponge “being forgotten” anytime soon.

I gave up Minecraft completely in October 2016 because there was no longer a working server with plugins and MODs that was also updated. Until then I had a MC V.1.10.4 with Bukkit-“successor” Cauldron.

About October 2018 I followed the new development of Minecraft V.1.14 snapshots and hoped to port my world to the server after 6-9 months.
Now more than a year has passed since the release of the version and no end is in sight.

Due to the strong development of V.1.13 and V.1.14, I decided to focus on the latter and would use it in the long run to avoid constant server and MOD updates.

I am now quite desperate that there is nothing that I can use PLUGINS and MOD under the mentioned version.
If there were at least prognoses, when it is time that I can realize my plan.
It’s really enough to make you cry.

Therefore I understand the words of Georgewl.

With best regards from Zebulon, a.k.a. ZebulonHH.
(Hamburg/Germany)

I understand the angle that George is coming from (anyone who waited for HalfLife 3 will understand Georges angle), I have helped a few projects attempt to update to 1.13+ because I got tired of waiting for any development update.

But I can tell you this for the sponge development. I get a notification whenever anything API 8 (Sponge 1.14) gets updated (as well as a few other projects) and for the past 5 or so weeks, ive been getting about 5-8 notifications on just Sponge API 8 alone. They are developing and developing fast, so much so that I can not keep up with the changes. So it is a matter of time before it updates to a public release.

Sadly, its a waiting game. Sponge is a huge project which takes time to update to new releases. I know that during the waiting time for MCP and Forge release Sponge was making it easier to update to new releases of minecraft, so hopefully the next minecraft update sponge goes to wont be as long as this one.

The only thing I can say to help progress of 1.14 sponge is more man power on porting. I get not everyone know how to program in Java nor wants to, but its something to consider if anyone wants to get into programming, learn a new language, or just something to keep you entertained during all the free time most of the world has.

1 Like