Sponge Needs A Built In World Guard

Alright so I noticed hugely that minecraft NEEDS a type of world guard and I have no I idea what the devs were thinking releasing it without one. I am hoping sponge could take care of all my anti-griefer needs.

Read and learn :smile:

Sponge is an API, its not meant to add features to the game, it facilitates the creation of plugins. Adding features such as a world guard on the other hand, that is for plugins, which btw, worldguard is being ported I believe. Problem solved!

7 Likes

Also, just a little fyi about Vanilla MC, is that if you run a Vanilla SERVER (where you can access server.properties) , there is in fact a ā€œworld guardā€. This is spawn protection. If you have that set, only operators can build x blocks around spawn (based on distance you set).

Sponge will not add features that donā€™t exist within the base game. Instead it will allow modifications and improvements upon those features to allow full customization of the server, at the hands of plugin developers. What youā€™re looking for is a plugin to solve your needs, the server implementation will not provide it on its own. Just like with Bukkit, youā€™ll need to install WorldGuard or a variation of it.

6 Likes

I have no idea what you are thinking. Sponge is an API.

1 Like

@sk89q Is the dev for WorldGuard and Worldedit, heā€™s thinking of maybe putting it in?

@JtHeresy you donā€™t get it. You need to see sponge like you see windows for example. Does windows has a build in word? No. It only has a build-in notepad that can not make the difference between \n\r or \n. And would you use windows if it didnā€™t had the possibility to install anything you wanted. I donā€™t think so :smile:. I am sure that their are people out their, that do not feel the need of using worldguard.

Mememememe! No srsly, I mostly runs ervers for small, trusted groups of players and I donā€™t need WG. Iā€™d be prettyā€¦ sad if it was included with servers by default. Same for all other plugins.

I use a mac. I have jumped into the terminal now and again.
Now lets get back to the subject of the Discussion.

@thomas15v is on the subject. He was using an analogy.

3 Likes

Indeed xD. And I am a native linux user. I just used windows as example. But you can go more extreme if you want to.
Why canā€™t we ask oracle, to implement minecraft default in java. I mean, you only install java to play minecraft right? Thats exactly the same as asking to sponge to implement plugins directly in the mod.

(note: Somehow it edited my last post, when I posted a new one ? :confused: )

At most, heā€™s probably gonna port the plugin to be usable for Sponge, but not add it to Sponge itself. Thatā€™s just bloating the server with things that can drag performance down and can be deemed unnecessary by smaller servers, like friend servers or development testing servers.

Sponge is a step away from Bukkit, but it does the same thing it did, providing an interface that plugin developers can use to improve upon the gameā€™s current features and mechanics. Its not meant to serve as an all-in-one package for server owners, its meant to be an improvement over the faults that Bukkit and other server mods may have made. Anything that adds to the game as a mechanic or a new basegame feature is territory that Sponge will not step into when its on its own.