Sponge vocabulary questions

• Back in the old days, the Bukkit community established NMS as the general term for the implementation code (CraftBukkit and the Minecraft server). Does Sponge retain this, or is there a different term used?
  • Is there a special name for Sponge plugins that access the implementation code? If so, what is it?

A. I would assume we will continue to use NMS as a term, to me it means ā€˜net.minecraft.serverā€™ but it could also stand for ā€˜native minecraft serverā€™. I donā€™t see any reason to change it.

B. Who knows? They could probably just be called NMS-Plugins, considering that is exactly what they are - plugins for the NMS code

(none of my answers are final//the opinion of the masses, this is just how I feel, and how I think things will go)

bad plugins? honestly there should be little to no reason at all to touch vanilla code if you are writing a SpongeAPI plugin, this was discussed briefly during the recent SOS VII and your name was mentioned as someone that keeps suggesting stuff that hasnā€™t been thought of or was missed at some point, basically SpongeAPI should be allowing you to do almost anything that isnā€™t by nature, hacky.

NMS still stands for net.minecraft.server, which is only modified by Mixins at runtime

1 Like

Actually, for one of the plugins Iā€™m working on (something similar to Orebfuscator), Iā€™m doing some packet manipulation, which the developers have stated will not be added. So yes, it is a bit hacky, but I donā€™t believe itā€™s ā€œbadā€.

Mods?

3 Likes

The most hilarious answer everā€¦ :smiley:

ā€¦

And the truest too

In all technicality, plugins are server-side mods anywayā€¦

Except they interact with the API layer, meaning they are portable to other platforms, should they exist.

Where as a ForgeMod that uses the SpongeAPI would only work on forge servers, Mods that rely on NMS + SpongeAPI would work on SpongeForge and SpongeVanilla servers.